Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The GRO's new mother's surname option ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The GRO's new mother's surname option ...

Is it always correct?

I have a Martha Heath Sexton in my tree b. 1870 St Olave, Southwark, died 1871 Camberwell, who I thought was a 2nd great aunt.

My 2 x gt grandparents - George James Sexton and Virginia Elizabeth (nee Root) - married on 10 Aug 1870. In the 1871 census they are living at 137 Lynton Road, Bermondsey. George, V.E, Sarah Sexton - a "visitor" (his mum), aged 60, and Martha Sexton "dau" 10 months. I (and other people who have the same family on their trees have all taken it that Martha Heath is therefore George and Virginia's.

However, when I just checked the GRO for Martha Heath Sexton, the mother's surname is given as "Smith". I cannot see that any of his brothers married a "Smith".

Now, especially as I now know (do I?) that she is not a daughter of George and Virginia's, I don't want to have to pay for a certificate for her. Is there any other way I can find out who her parents are? And, who is the "dau" Martha that is mentioned in their census return?

Any help gratefully received!
    :D Charney Jo

I've found that the surname given isn't always the mother's maiden name; sometimes it's the surname of a previous husband, or just the name she was going by.

Comment

Martha Heath SEXTON does seem very likely to be the Martha with George and Virginia on the 1870 census.I see her birth was registered in Q2 1870, so before George and Virginia married. I wonder if the "wrong" mother's maiden name was part of some pretence that the parents were married when the birth was registered, was it as common then as it was in more recent years to use Smith as an assumed surname when doing something a little bit naughty? I have to admit if this was my family I wouldn't be able to resist buying the certificate.
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I see that George and Virginia baptised 4 children at St John's Horselydown, Southwark, between 1871 and 1884 (Thomas Edward, Edwin Henry, Virginia Elizabeth and Walter John), but I haven't found a baptism for Martha.

George and Virginia (mmn Root) were married in August 1870 and Martha was born in the 2nd quarter, so before the marriage.

I wonder if Martha was actually a niece of theirs?

Comment

I did check to see if there was a Sexton-Smith marriage, in case there was another couple of that name, but there doesn't seem to be.

Comment

In 1911 George and Virginia claim 9 children born, of whom 3 deceased - can this help you work out if Martha was theirs?
            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thanks everyone!

That's the thing Judith. With Martha, they have 10 children. I'm just having another look at the siblings to see when they died to see if that helps. Some I don't have deaths for yet.

Comment

have pmd you have her burial if you want it

Comment

Thanks so much Val.

She was buried in unconsecrated ground - is that because she wasn't Christened, do you think? Sadly it doesn't give me the parents names. And it gives her address as Nunhead Green. In the 1871 census, George and Virginia's address is: 137 Lynton Road, Bermondsey. In 1881 they are living at: 1 Spa Cottage, Bermondsey. I know Nunhead is Southwark still, but I've not heard that address in relation to my family before.
                  Last edited by Charney Jo; 06-01-17, 22:04. Reason: Formatting!

Comment

I should also say, I haven't found a "Heath" in the rest of the tree. Virginia's mother's maiden name was Yeowell and her mother's maiden name was Scobie.

Comment

Originally posted by Charney Jo View Post
                      I should also say, I haven't found a "Heath" in the rest of the tree. Virginia's mother's maiden name was Yeowell and her mother's maiden name was Scobie.

How possible would it be for SMITH and HEATH to look similar in handwriting?
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

It's possible Christine.

Actually, that's wrong. His mother's maiden name was Yeowell and her mother's name was Scobie.

The names from Virginia were: Bessell and Jacobs. I don't know so much about her family though.

Comment

do you reckon this is a coincidence same year and quarter just different place

Mother's Maiden Surname: Sexton
                          Martha Sexton
                          GRO Reference: 1870 J Quarter in SUDBURY Volume 04A Page 457

Comment

Hmmm... so, I was looking at George's brothers. Edwin married a Myra Folkes (not Smith!) in 1871 they lived in Camberwell. I was wondering why Martha is listed underneath Sarah. She's a visitor (but was his mother I think, everything fits). Could Martha be a niece (but called a "daughter")?

I need to look at his children to see who died. In 1911, it says they had 7 children and only 3 were still living. Heartbreaking!

Comment

Val, I did see this too. The family did live in Great Coggeshall, Essex for a while (and Edwin married Myra there). I'm not sure how far away Sudbury is.

Comment

wonder if she is George's daughter but not Virginia's

Comment

Sudbury is in Suffolk

Comment

It's fairly near the Suffolk border though

Comment

maybe worth investigating further then

Comment

Working...
                                      X