Ancestry - what's going on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry - what's going on?

A friend of mine, NT, has a guest account on ancestry. Obviously it is linked to her user name, password and email address which bear no resemblance to mine. On one occasion before Christmas we were working on her tree together and she logged into her account via my iPad. I do not have any sharing rights to her tree and have never logged into her account as her - no idea of her password.

Yesterday I was invited to share someone else's tree after giving them my ancestry username. The notification of the invite duly popped up in my email inbox. I clicked on the come check it out link in the email and the tree came up but with my friend's username rather than mine appearing in the top right of the screen. I can see her tree as well as the one I was accepting the invite to. When I look at who is participating in the tree, it includes my ancestry user name but my friend's name, not mine, in brackets after it.

I'm completely baffled as to how this has happened. Why does ancestry think my user name is my friend not me? Not that I would do anything untoward, but with access to her account I could completely mess up her tree without her being any the wiser, or if she had a live ancestry sub (she doesn't!) I could make use of it.

I've now logged out of friend's account. When I go back to the original email come check it out link from yesterday, I now get an error message:

An error occured while processing your invitation
    Your invitation to view the family tree cannot be found.
    The reason for this error could be one of the following:
    Your invitation has already been used.
    This invitation may have already been accepted by somebody else. Each invitation is only good for one user.
    Your invitation is no longer valid.
    The owner of the family tree may have rescinded your invitation to see the tree.

I've asked for yesterday's invite to be re-sent and hopefully everything will come out right this time?

Sorry this is a bit long and rambly, but is there a security issue here and is this likely to cause problems further down the line with either my friend's or my ancestry account?

Christine
    Last edited by Karamazov; 03-01-17, 08:14.
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Yet another example of big websites assuming only one user per device (see my experience with Facebook!)
    Actually I think its to do with cookies and caching? Someone else will be techie no doubt.
    Anne

Comment

I do know that yesterday Ancestry were having technical difficulties and they were offline for a while.. maybe that has something to do with it?

I do know that Ancestry have a FB page and are very very helpful.

Ancestry, Лондон. Отметки "Нравится": 2 416 078 · Обсуждают: 837. Ancestry is the UK’s favourite family history website. If you need Customer Support, please contact 0800 404 97 23.
      Last edited by Darksecretz; 03-01-17, 12:11.
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
      X