Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burrows family

Hi,

I am researching the Burrows family, mainly around Barrow on Soar, Leicestershire. In 1841 census I found William Burrows age 35 with his wife Sarah age 25, with family: Fanny 14, Mary 6, Jane 4, and Sarah 2. Fanny seems a bit old to be Sarah's child and I found Fanny Burrows on the IGI daughter of William Burrows and Mary in Melton Mowbray Christened on 20 Feb 1828.

I would really like to find Mary's surname and when William and she were married and if Mary died when it was. As this is before 1837, I'm not sure how to find this information as I can't get to the Leicestershire Records office. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Janice

There is a birth for a Sarah Burrows in Barrow on Soar March quarter 1839 ref 15 30. It gives the mothers maiden name as Riley.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thank you. I did find that one. But Fanny's mother is Mary and it is her surname I'm trying to find. I think William must have been married to Mary before he married Sarah

Comment

Maybe Mary and William never formally got married?

Amanda

Comment

thanks Amanda
          Yes, that's a possibility, but is it possible to find out what Mary's surname was anyway? I think the IGI entry suggests they were married as it gives Fanny's parents as William Burrows & Mary.

Comment

I'm a bit puzzled - why are you assuming they weren't married?

If you can find the second marriage to Sarah Riley, that should at least tell you if he was a widower.

Where have you looked for the marriage to Mary?

OC

Comment

what about this marriage
              William Burrows
              Marriage year 1822
              Marriage date 01 Jul 1822
              Marriage place Saxby
              Spouse's first name(s) Mary
              Spouse's last name Chamberlain
              County Leicestershire
              Country England
              Record set England Marriages 1538-1973

Comment

I haven't got the marriage certificate to confirm he was a widower, I assumed Mary & he were married as the IGI entry for Fanny's birth gives William Burrows as the father and mother as Mary, by implication Mary Burrows.

I have looked for Parish records on Ancestry, FMP & FamilySearch but couldn't find Leicestershire.

Thank you for your reply

Comment

Thank you very much. I think that could be it as subsequent census entries has William as having been born in Burton Lazars, which is very close to Saxby.

Many thanks
                  Janice

Comment

Ooooh, good work Val!!

Amanda x

Comment

Originally posted by sejjcraft View Post
                      Hi,

I am researching the Burrows family, mainly around Barrow on Soar, Leicestershire. In 1841 census I found William Burrows age 35 with his wife Sarah age 25, with family: Fanny 14, Mary 6, Jane 4, and Sarah 2. Fanny seems a bit old to be Sarah's child and I found Fanny Burrows on the IGI daughter of William Burrows and Mary in Melton Mowbray Christened on 20 Feb 1828.

I would really like to find Mary's surname and when William and she were married and if Mary died when it was. As this is before 1837, I'm not sure how to find this information as I can't get to the Leicestershire Records office. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Janice
                      it looks like the names were rounded in the 1841 cens, so you need to take that on board when looking for baptisms etc.. do you have the link for the 1841 census at all?
                      Julie
                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Here's the 1841 census I think
                        Discover your family history and build a family tree with the world’s largest genealogy website. Search birth records, census data, obituaries and more!
                        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

This is from the Leicestershire marriage index disc:

Melton Mowbray / 20-May 1834 / by banns
                          William Burrowes / OTP / Wid / Sarah Riley / OTP / Spin

Comment

This is the Chamberlain marriage fro the same disc:

Saxby / 01-Jul 1822 / by banns
                            William Burrows / Kirby Bellars / Mary Chamberlain / OTP

Kirby Bellars is only about 4 miles from Burton Lazars, so it looks good.

Comment

This looks like William's birth (from FamilySearch):

Name William Burrows
                              Gender Male
                              Christening Date 30 Mar 1808
                              Christening Place BURTON LAZARS,LEICESTER,ENGLAND
                              Father's Name William Burrows
                              Mother's Name Sarah

and this will be his parents' marriage (from the marriage index disc):

Melton Mowbray / 24-Nov 1802 / B /
                              William Burrows / Burton Lazars / Bach / Sarah Williamson / Burton Lazars / Spin

Comment

If he was born in 1808 he'd be a bit young to marry in 1822, but he gives his birth as around 1801-3 on the later censuses (the ones where the age wasn't rounded), so maybe he wasn't baptised shortly after birth (or that baptism is wrong).

I don't think there are many baptisms online for Leics yet, but I believe FindmyPast are working on them.

You could always email the Records Office in Wigston to ask how much they'd charge for a copy of the baptism entry.

Comment

OK, I think that 1808 baptism's the wrong one. There's another William Burrows born and living in Burton Lazars in 1871 who fits that baptism.

In the 1851 and 1861 censuses your William says he was born in Somerby, so expect that's where he was baptised. Unfortunately the baptisms for that parish in the right period don't seem to be online.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                                    OK, I think that 1808 baptism's the wrong one. There's another William Burrows born and living in Burton Lazars in 1871 who fits that baptism.

In the 1851 and 1861 censuses your William says he was born in Somerby, so expect that's where he was baptised. Unfortunately the baptisms for that parish in the right period don't seem to be online.
                                    That's right, no Somerby Parish records are online.
                                    Julie
                                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thank you all so so much for all your responses. You've been really helpful. It's good to know that FMP is working on the Leicestershire Baptisms, I'll look out for that. Thanks also for the advice about emailing the Records Office in Wigston.

As Mary & William married in 1822, I think I've found 2 other children James 1825 & Eliza 1823, but they were born in Long Clawson, which is north of Melton.... more research needed :-)

Thanks again

Janice

Comment

Working...
                                      X