Royal Tank Regiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Royal Tank Regiment

My grandfather was in the Tank regiment during and after WW1, my father was in the same regiment prior to and during WW2. I am having some difficulty finding their war records, I believe that my father served in India and Burma, after that, very little.

Life is not made any easier as their names were Harry Arthur Lunn, born 1885, and Arthur Harold Lunn, born 1916.

Can anyone suggest a best place to look please?

Many thanks.

If they continued to serve after WW1 then their records will be held by the MoD.
    You can apply for a copy - costs £30.
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine, I have spoken to a relative about this and he remembers that my father punched an officer on the nose so what knows what dark secrets are to be uncovered!

Comment

have pmd you found something
        Last edited by Guest; 30-12-16, 17:48.

Comment

not found anything else as yet sorry

Comment

Its very kind of you to look Val, thank you.

I havent been able to find out very much about the man at all, I know his DOB, wife's name, names of children. I know where he lived as a child and that he lived in Stafford from around 1916 onwards, i dont know his date of death or what he did for a living, I suspect his life was cut short and died early 1930s because my father was kicked out of the home at that time because he wasnt earning enough and he went to join the Army, also the Tank Regiment, in 1935. I am connecting the being made to leave home to father not being around.

I appreciate your help Val, what I currently know may be all that I will know until 2021.

Comment

am sure this is your grandfathers army record

Wife Sarah Ann Hough

Comment

Thats the one Val, can I say a big thank you for all your help, I had not been able to find out about this man and the date of his death explains something of my fathers history.

A joyous New Year to you and all on FTF.

Comment

you are welcome ,gave me something interesting to do, if you need anything else

Comment

Did you look all the way through the record that Val found? There's a list of (at least 3 - though after the first 2, they're very faint) children with DoB, and the date & place of marriage. I can't find a death for the first one - but the names overlap so much, it's hard to imagine that the first child didn't die tragically young - between 1911 and 1916.

Using a combination of the usual BMD transcribed indexes, and the new GRO index, I can see that there's a death registered in 1937q1 in Wolverhampton for Arthur Harold LUNN, aged 52, which would put his YoB at about 1885. The names are transposed and poshed up a bit, but that's not all that unusual. I can't find a birth registration in the GRO index for Arthur Harold LUNN for 1885±2.

I can't spot a Will in the FindAWill database, so there's no easy way to match up that record that way.

C
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I found that Birth and death yesterday Christine should have said on here but I emailed him.
                      Arthur Harold Lunn
                      Birth year 1885
                      Birth quarter 1
                      District WEST BROMWICH
                      County Staffordshire
                      Country England
                      Volume 6B
                      Page 848
                      Last edited by Guest; 01-01-17, 21:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                        Did you look all the way through the record that Val found? There's a list of (at least 3 - though after the first 2, they're very faint) children with DoB, and the date & place of marriage. I can't find a death for the first one - but the names overlap so much, it's hard to imagine that the first child didn't die tragically young - between 1911 and 1916.

Using a combination of the usual BMD transcribed indexes, and the new GRO index, I can see that there's a death registered in 1937q1 in Wolverhampton for Arthur Harold LUNN, aged 52, which would put his YoB at about 1885. The names are transposed and poshed up a bit, but that's not all that unusual. I can't find a birth registration in the GRO index for Arthur Harold LUNN for 1885±2.

I can't spot a Will in the FindAWill database, so there's no easy way to match up that record that way.

C

Thanks Christine and Val

I had his birth date and because of census records I have traced grandfather through to great grandfather Thomas, born in 1847. I recently found out that grandfather had many more children than I thought and have their birth dates and know something of their lives.

I didnt know grandfathers date of death as 1937, thank you for that. Died quite young at 52 perhaps as the result of the Great War and driving the tanks, which must have been a living hell.

Appreciate all the advice and assistance.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                          I found that Birth and death yesterday Christine should have said on here but I emailed him.
                          Arthur Harold Lunn
                          Birth year 1885
                          Birth quarter 1
                          District WEST BROMWICH
                          County Staffordshire
                          Country England
                          Volume 6B
                          Page 848

I was using the GRO database... I wonder which bit of that record has been mistranscribed! It highlights the loss of facility when you are required to include the surname, as you are on the GRO search.

...EDIT: Duh! I should try looking for births, instead of deaths!
                          That MMN was "ARTER", apparently, so not the same family.

C
                          Last edited by Christine in Herts; 02-01-17, 08:36.
                          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

It is remarkable how a little research can explain some family decisions. My father was in the army in 1937 and was due to go on leave. He was sat on his own and told another soldier that he had nowhere to go, (now I understand why) that kind man said come home for Christmas with me, that mans sister became my fathers bride and he eventually became my uncle, and a very good man to me throughout my life.

Comment

Working...
                            X