Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help deciphering a marriage certificate

Hi all

Hope everyone had a good Christmas, for those who celebrate it.

Just got a new marriage certificate - but can't figure out the spouse's father's job - any ideas? Elsewhere he's listed as a furrier if that helps

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dealer ?

STG
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Ah - yes, that may well be it - thank you!

Comment

I thought it looked like Grocer (Retired).

Comment

cannot read it very well but is this the father in 1911
          Louis Kahansky Brother Married Male Grocer 32 1879 Russia2

living in 41 Old Montague Street Whitechapel ?
          Last edited by Guest; 29-12-16, 22:14.

Comment

I think it says dealer for the bride's father. The groom's occupation is grocer (retired)
            Anne

Comment

Off topic, that is some age gap groom 54 bride 24. My D is single age 35 and a friend wanted to set her up with a 52 year old multi millionaire, she was not interested as he was too old.

Tora

Comment

Thanks all - yes it was a big gap. His first wife died - he then had two kids with this wife (one was my grandfather) and sadly died four years later, so my grandfather never knew him. This has made finding out about him so interesting though. I appreciate everyone's input!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Dealer, the D is the same as the other D's on the cert.....but what is the occupation of Phillip's father? Jailer??

Amanda

Comment

Originally posted by amck37 View Post
                    Dealer, the D is the same as the other D's on the cert.....but what is the occupation of Phillip's father? Jailer??

Amanda
                    More likely to be "Tailor", I should think!

And "Dealer" seems a likely interpretation of the bride's father.

Interesting that the groom's father's surname doesn't appear to be the same as his (it looks like IREN, to me) - but that might just be a patronym thing.

C
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine - that's interesting, is just assumed whatever was written there was supposed to signify "the same" and that he was also a Goldstein, but that wouldn't make sense as it would be the same on the brides father's side. This is a really good lead - I'll have a look for Iren in that case! And yes it's definitely Tailor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

To be fair "Ibid." (Latin abbreviation) is often used to mean "The Same", but the name is in full in the bride's father's box, so it would be very odd not to have done the same for the groom.

... And I don't think that it looks like "Ibid", anyway! I hope it does give you a useful line to follow.

C
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                        X