Marriage dissolved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage dissolved

If a marriage was dissolved and now both parties are deceased ,is it possible to find out why it was ended, this was about 1975.
    Thanks

Not really, Val. Modern divorce records are private and by 1975 I think divorce by mutual consent was allowed, so no "reason" had to be given. All the nitty gritty stuff would be in the hands of the solicitors and you don't stand any chance of getting a look at that.

The decree nisi MIGHT state a reason for the divorce but you would need to know the exact date of the divorce and I'm not sure you could get a copy anyway.

OC

Comment

rotten shame as I think he was married already but hard to find out, thanks OC

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
        rotten shame as I think he was married already but hard to find out, thanks OC
        I think the use of the word 'dissolved' generally refers to a divorce but if the reason was a bigamous marriage I think the word 'annulled' might be used to signify the end of it.

You can't actually be divorced from someone you are not legally married to!

Margaret

Comment

I agree with Margaret, you cannot be divorced from someone you were never legally married to, but neither can you annul a marriage which did not legally happen.

However, when this subject (bigamy) came up on a website some years ago, I vaguely remember that there is some sort of legal recognition that bigamy took place but the state of bigamy has now ended. No idea where that fact is recorded though, sorry.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
            I agree with Margaret, you cannot be divorced from someone you were never legally married to, but neither can you annul a marriage which did not legally happen.

However, when this subject (bigamy) came up on a website some years ago, I vaguely remember that there is some sort of legal recognition that bigamy took place but the state of bigamy has now ended. No idea where that fact is recorded though, sorry.

OC
            I saw something that used the term 'null and void' so perhaps that is the wording they would use. I suppose that even though it isn't legal the marriage has taken place and is recorded so would have to be cancelled out by some method otherwise the woman might have a problem trying to get married to someone else.

Margaret

Comment

thanks both I am 99% sure he was married before ,would love to find out more about him,he is the only one of my Fathers family I know hardly anything about, but I do know he used a false name for some years.

Comment

Working...
              X