Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Media in FTM from ancestry

Hi,
    Could someone tell me if I'm right in thinking that media which I have in FTM, which came from Ancestry, will go when I end my ancestry subscription. But if I save to my computer then put into FTM, it will stay whether I have subscription or not.
    Thanks

If you have linked your FTM to Ancestry, then when you cited media that was on Ancestry, it should have downloaded it to your FTM application on your PC as well.
    Check this by opening FTM and looking at the 'media' files it lists.

Even if you let your Ancestry subscription finish, any media yo have on your PC via FTM will remain

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Thanks very much. Yes I've checked the media files in FTM, it is good to know that they will stay when my subscription ends.
      Thanks

Comment

Hello, noob here.

This topic interests me a lot because I have an issue with Ancestry.

I exported my tree into a Gedcom file for import into another program (not FTM) but none of my media came over.

Several people on another forum had mentioned that if you sync FTM to your Ancestry account the media would all be transferred down to your PC but none of them had actually done it and I did not want to go to the expense of buying a copy of FTM unless I was certain it had this capability. Reading this thread it would appear that it does?

Are there any wrinkle of limitations with it that I should be aware of before I buy please? Does it work OK with trees hosted on Ancestry.co.uk?

Regards

Paul

Comment

A GEDCOM file is data only, which is why none of the media came over.

If you buy a copy of FTM you can indeed synchronise your tree between Ancestry and FTM and it will download a full copy of your tree including media items. There should be no reason why it wont work - I've used it on many occasions as have others.

FTM has recently been taken over by MacKiev and they are about to release a new version called FTM 2017. After the end of the month this is the only version that will synchronise with Ancestry, any earlier versions, e.g. 2012/2014 will no longer sync.

There is some discussion in this thread about the new version

As a new user I am not sure that you are entitled to the pre-order price of £29.95 but I understand that when the download purchase becomes available then it is a full download of the program, not an update to an existing installed copy.
          Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
            A GEDCOM file is data only, which is why none of the media came over.
            Indeed. My Bad. What Ancestry do is provide a link to the media in the gedcom file. But it is a meaningless link which goes nowhere. Even I, as a logged in current Ancestry user, cannot follow the links.

If you buy a copy of FTM you can indeed synchronise your tree between Ancestry and FTM and it will download a full copy of your tree including media items. There should be no reason why it wont work - I've used it on many occasions as have others.
            Excellent - that just what I need to do then.

FTM has recently been taken over by MacKiev and they are about to release a new version called FTM 2017. After the end of the month this is the only version that will synchronise with Ancestry, any earlier versions, e.g. 2012/2014 will no longer sync.

There is some discussion in this thread about the new version

As a new user I am not sure that you are entitled to the pre-order price of £29.95 but I understand that when the download purchase becomes available then it is a full download of the program, not an update to an existing installed copy.
            OK, that's useful to know. I will wait till the new release is out. My need is important not urgent.

Thanks for the speedy and comprehensive reply

Paul

Comment

I signed up for the mailing list and got an immediate message saying I could preorder FTM 2017 for £79.95

But the offer link doesn't work - it takes you to the 2014 order page.

I will keep monitoring....

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Barrett View Post
                I will keep monitoring....
                Keep an eye on the other thread -
                Elaine

Comment

looking at this it seems people who already have FTM 14 will get a free upgrade ? anybody else has to buy it, is that right

Comment

Have replied on the other post Val. I think you will find this applies to the upgrade from FTM 2014 to FTM 2014.1, which was a freebie.
                    Elaine

Comment

email i received
                      INTRODUCING FTM 2017
                      A month ago at the RootsTech conference in Salt Lake City we showed off a preview of FTM 2017 for Mac and Windows. It will be released on Friday, March 31st and it's available to pre-order at a discount today. Here's some of what you can expect:

– FamilySync – This is our replacement for TreeSync® which Ancestry is about to retire (see “Good Bye TreeSync. Hello FamilySync”, below). It's what you'll need to get Ancestry hints, search, merge after the era of TreeSync comes to a close.

– Connecting to FamilySearch – This adds more than a billion new records to search for finding relatives and does it in a way that's very similar to how it works with Ancestry searches, hints and merging now.

– Color Coding – Helps to keep your lines straight and know where you are at any time when working on your tree. Plus we have heard about discoveries that our beta testers are making in how their ancestors are related that they never knew before.

– Photo Repair – Taking what looks like a hopelessly faded photo from your treasure box where almost no details are visible and see it come back to life is very cool. (My Mom really likes this feature.)

WHAT'S NEW IN FTM 2017 – (RootsTech Product Card)

PRICES AND PRE-ORDERS

First question — what's it cost? Well, it depends. First of all we wanted to say thank you to all those who took a chance on us by buying a MacKiev edition during our first year as publisher. If you PAID for a copy of FTM 2014.1 or Mac 3.1 (both introduced in March 2016), your copy of FTM 2017 is FREE and you will be notified by email when yours is available.

How to check: In case you're not sure whether you purchased a copy from us or not, we've set up a Verification Center so you can find out. Note that buying media (CD, DVD or USB) or additional licenses (Family Pack) while picking up a free update does not qualify as buying the update itself.

For the rest of you who own an older edition of Family Tree Maker, if you are ready to jump on in, now's the time to do it. From now until March 31st we are offering a pre-order price of £29.95. After that it will be £39.95 for upgrades for a limited time. Click here to pre-order now. The full price, which is only for newcomers, is £79.95.

Upgrade Offer
                      GOODBYE TREESYNC. HELLO FAMILYSYNC!

Some more big news. To make way for our new FamilySync technology, Ancestry's award-winning TreeSync will go offline forever at the end of the day next Wednesday, March 29th at midnight Utah time (where Ancestry lives). Then for the next two days we will be working together around the clock to deploy FamilySync so that it will be all set up and ready when FTM 2017 is released on March 31st.

So what should you be doing to get ready? Not much, really. FTM 2017 will open with your trees showing, and any linked Ancestry and FTM trees will still be linked — but with FamilySync. No breaking of links. No upload or download. Just pick up right where you left off. About the only thing should do is make a manual Backup (File>Backup) of your tree files with the “include Media” box checked. What else — well maybe have a cup of tea? Really that's it.

RECOMMENDATIONS FOR THE TRANSITION

First of all, if you are worried about the transition, or perhaps about the relatively short amount of time left before TreeSync goes away, please don't be. There really is nothing you need to do in advance of the TreeSync retirement other than backing up your tree files. You do not need to do a last sync. FamilySync will find all your Ancestry trees and you'll be able to sync just fine after installation. Even if you have made lots of changes.

As for the period between March 29th when TreeSync is switched off and the end of the day on March 31st when FamilySync is available in FTM 2017, you can safely continue working on your trees if you like. We recommend that you do your work from the Family Tree Maker side if that's possible. But if your most up to date tree is an Ancestry one, then that's fine too. Either way FamilySync will find your FTM and Ancestry trees and link them up for you as though they had never been unlinked.

LEARNING MORE ABOUT THE NEW EDITION

A little nervous? Got tons of questions even though it sounds simple? Well we were thinking that might be the case so we've put together an FAQ page for FTM 2017 that we hope you'll find helpful. Just go to support.familytreemaker.com and enter FTM 2017 in the search field. And if the FAQ still doesn't tell you what you need to know, then you can start a live chat. We know its going to be busy so we've put on extra agents through this weekend. We only ask that you do read the FAQ's first.

So wow. That's it. We are so excited to be turning an important corner here. This is where we go from rescuers to pioneers. Forging a new road ahead for Family Tree Maker. This is just the beginning. Stay tuned!

]Please note that images I restore are only temporarily kept on photobucket

[/B]FOR RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN ALL PICS AT 300-600 dpi

ALAN

Comment

Working...
                      X