3rd great grandmother Sarah Anne Windsor Wilcox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd great grandmother Sarah Anne Windsor Wilcox

Hi, i'm now searching for my 3rd great grandmother. Her name is Sarah Anne Windsor Wilcox.

She was born in 1852 in Somerset, England & I think died in 1915 Somerset, England.

She married William Tilke Ashman in 1876 & they had 9 children.

I'd like to find out about Sarah's parents & siblings if she had any.

Thanks,
    Georgia
    Georgia Mae Simeone

Have you found her on the census - if so is there a more specific place of birth given, rather than just the county of Somerset?
    Elaine

Comment

This looks like her birth registration
      WILCOX, SARAH ANN WINDSOR -
      GRO Reference: 1852 S Quarter in WINCANTON Volume 05C Page 511

No mother's maiden name given on the registration, so possibly illegitimate, although the middle name of Windsor may be a clue to father!
      Elaine

Comment

Hi, no I haven't found her on a census as I don't know what her parents are called it makes it hard to identify her on a census.

I was wondering if maybe her mothers maiden name was Windsor? But as you said it could also be a clue to the fathers surname.

The birth record you sent me seems to be correct! Thank you!
        Georgia Mae Simeone

Comment

Originally posted by georgiasimeone View Post
          Hi, no I haven't found her on a census as I don't know what her parents are called it makes it hard to identify her on a census.
          I meant after she had married. Can you give us some names for the children.
          Elaine

Comment

Oh right.. Yes I can give you the children's names & births. I have found William & Sarah on the 1881, 1891, 1901 & 1911 census.

Their children are:
            Mary Ann Ashman B: West Camel, Somerset 1877
            Sarah Jane Barbara Ashman B: West Camel, Somerset 1878
            Joseph Ashman B: West Camel, Somerset 1881
            Martha Ann Ashman B:Queen Camel, Somerset 1883
            Elizabeth Ashman B: Queen Camel, Somerset 1885
            Beatrice Ashman B: Somerset 1886 (this is my 2nd great grandmother)
            Nellie Ashman B: Claudown, Somerset 1893
            William James Ashman (aka Willie) B:Farrington Curney, Somerset 1896
            Alice Ashman B: Somerset 1897
            Georgia Mae Simeone

Comment

Oh right.. Yes I can give you the children's names & births. I have found William & Sarah on the 1881, 1891, 1901 & 1911 census.

Their children are:
              Mary Ann Ashman B: West Camel, Somerset 1877
              Sarah Jane Barbara Ashman B: West Camel, Somerset 1878
              Joseph Ashman B: West Camel, Somerset 1881
              Martha Ann Ashman B:Queen Camel, Somerset 1883
              Elizabeth Ashman B: Queen Camel, Somerset 1885
              Beatrice Ashman B: Somerset 1886 (this is my 2nd great grandmother)
              Nellie Ashman B: Claudown, Somerset 1893
              William James Ashman (aka Willie) B:Farrington Curney, Somerset 1896
              Alice Ashman B: Somerset 1897
              * sorry, William's place of birth didn't come out very clear. He was born in Farrington Curney.
              Georgia Mae Simeone

Comment

So the 1881/ 1891 / 1901 show Sarah's place of birth as Queen Camel.

1861 census:
                I think she is probably the Sarah A Willcox, born 1853 in Queen Camel, living with grandfather Thomas Willcox in Queen Camel, Somerset.
                Also in the same household is Mary A Willcox (daughter to Thomas) - aged 33, unmarried - possibly Sarah's mother;
                and Charles L Willcox, aged 2, possibly Sarah's brother.
                Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

Class: RG 9; Piece: 1647; Folio: 51; Page: 12;

1871 census:
                There is a Sarah A Wilcocks aged 19 (born Queen Camel) living in Charlton Mackrell - occ. General Servant

Class: RG10; Piece: 2393; Folio: 21; Page: 17;

There are two documents which will help - one is her marriage certificate to William Ashman which should show the name and occupation of Sarah's father. However, looking at the above I fear it might be blank.
                The other, of course, is a copy of her birth certificate and the names you have given seem to match the one I found in 1852.

You may be lucky enough to find a baptism for Sarah - I've had a quick look but nothing jumping out at me at the moment!
                Elaine

Comment

Thank you very much! So does that mean that Charles Wilcox (Sarah's brother) was also illegitimate?

I think it would make sense for Mary A Wilcox to be Sarah's mother as Sarah's oldest daughter was called Mary, so i'm wondering if she name her after her mother!
                  Georgia Mae Simeone

Comment

Thank you very much! So does that mean that Charles Wilcox (Sarah's brother) was also illegitimate?
                    I did say that Charles was possibly Sarah's brother - there is no proof of this from the census entry.

A possible birth registration:
                    WILLCOX, CHARLES LUSH -
                    GRO Reference: 1859 M Quarter in WINCANTON Volume 05C Page 586

again no mother's maiden name given, so presume illegitimate. However, middle name of LUSH might be a clue to father!

I think it would make sense for Mary A Wilcox to be Sarah's mother as Sarah's oldest daughter was called Mary, so i'm wondering if she name her after her mother!
                    Yes, it would make sense for Mary to be Sarah's mother - but again no proof from the census. You really need Sarah's birth certificate to confirm.
                    Elaine

Comment

The marriage certificate for William Ashman & Sarah Anne Windsor Wilcox is on Ancestry.

2 May 1876 Queen Camel, Somerset
                      William Ashman, full age, Bachelor, Labourer, of Podymore, son of James Ashman, Labourer &
                      Sarah Anne Windsor Wilcox, full age, Spinster, of Queen Camel, dau of Thomas Wilcox, Parish Clerk.
                      William & Sarah both made their marks. Witnesses: James Bennett & Mary Jane Clark.

Comment

Originally posted by Vivian View Post
                        Sarah Anne Windsor Wilcox, full age, Spinster, of Queen Camel, dau of Thomas Wilcox, Parish Clerk.
                        I think she is probably referring to her grandfather, Thomas Wilcox, who she was living with in the 1861 census. His occupation shown as Parish Clerk.
                        Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!
                        Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                          I think she is probably referring to her grandfather, Thomas Wilcox, who she was living with in the 1861 census. His occupation shown as Parish Clerk.
                          http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...try&h=19078400
                          Thank you! I will have a look at this census!
                          Georgia Mae Simeone

Comment

Working...
                          X