1939 Register

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1939 Register

Why can I not find my Father on this register, he was not in the War and he was a single man at that time. His Parents had both passed away and I can find his brothers.

give us a clue like his name age etc ?
    Last edited by Guest; 23-12-16, 15:05.

Comment

There are a few of my family, probably a similar age (born 1920ish) who I cannot find. I think it possible that by the date of the Register they were already in some sort of defence training. Its the only explanation I can come up with and I do know that they, both male and female, did have a variety of defence roles (including home based ones)
      Anne
      Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 23-12-16, 15:33.

Comment

Possibly the 100 year rule, but there are other reasons. See

1. What are these records? The 1939 Register provides a snapshot of the civilian population of England and Wales just after the outbreak of the Second World War. As the 1931 census for England and Wales was destroyed by fire during the Second World War and no census was taken in 1941, the Register provides […]

David

Comment

Ah, yes David, you are right. Even though the person you are searching for died some time ago their record may not yet have been revealed. The ones I am searching for died in the 1980s and 1990s.
          Anne

Comment

My father died in 1987 and I had to ask for his record to be opened. They warned me that it could take a few weeks but it was only a matter of days. Although he was still living at home he was working somewhere where I least expected, so another little snippet to add to his record.
            Margaret

Comment

It's also worth bearing in mind that the transcriptions of the 1939 Register are as fallible as any others. I've submitted a number of corrections, already.

C
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                give us a clue like his name age etc ?
                1905 was birth year

Comment

My father (born 1907) doesn't appear in the register, although his parents do. He lived in the parental home, but was called up on the day war was declared in 1939 and went off to barracks. I've read that military personnel in barracks were not included; perhaps your missing man was in the same circumstances????

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

sorry not found him , cannot reply to my pms not ignoring you

Comment

Working...
                    X