More tricky words in a will

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More tricky words in a will

Having transcribed William Dappe's will to the best of my ability, I still have some words outstanding that I'd like help with please.

the run up to the first word goes

"my daughter Twelve pence Item I give unto William Page sonne of my
    daughter Anne Tenne pound of lawfull English money To be payd to his
    father to his ???? within one yeare after my decease. Item all the rest"

then there's the surname of a witness that I cannot read.

There is also an omission that is squeezed into the margin

"three ????? two ?????
    candlesticks the best ????
    ???? two ???? two ?
    ?????s"

The first word I think is "use" & the name is "?eale". Can't make out the first letter, looks like a £ sign.
    Moggie

Comment

The "father to his" word looks like "safe" to me.....but it doesn't fit in
      Jacky

Comment

Jill, it's definitely "father to his use".

I'm looking at the will on Ancestry and will get back to you about the text in the margin.
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Thankyou Moggie, Jacky and Elizabeth - it's obvious now you've told me, but I couldn't see it on my own!

Comment

It's very hard to read the list of goods. So far I have:

three s--ers? two pewt'?
            candlesticks the best salt?
            se-er? two tubs two
            keelers

The word "keelers" appears again in the will.

I might be wrong with a couple of the words!
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:
            England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
            Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I too see "use".

Is the name Leale? I agree it looks like the pound sign, so that would make it an L.

OC

Comment

A keeler was a shallow tub.
                Elizabeth
                Research Interests:

Comment

Thankyou OC and to Elizabeth again for your expertise.

The witness name - having now searched Newick burial registers (this will is for William Dappe of Newick) I have found a burial for John Keale, Parson of Newick on 31 Jan 1613 so am rather leaning towards it being him.

Comment

Well, as a writer is another name for a cleric it does seem very likely.

OC

Comment

Something else I didn't know, thankyou OC.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                        Well, as a writer is another name for a cleric it does seem very likely.

OC
                        Though in Scotland a writer is often a lawyer (Writer to the Signet).
                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I think it can be both, UJ. I have a couple of instances in my tree of "writer" in a religious sense (England) and one in Scotland, a writer in the legal sense.

OC

Comment

"Writer" is also used for "Secretary" in the Navy. (We have at least one in my OH's tree.) But that is a "clerical" rôle, too.

C
                            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                            X