Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gifts for someone who wants to start genealogy research?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gifts for someone who wants to start genealogy research?

(Hopefully this is the right forum to post this in!)
    My mom has talked about wanting to start researching our genealogy, so I was wondering if anyone had ideas for some Christmas gifts we could give her. She doesn't have any experience in genealogy research. Any suggestions? Maybe a how-to book you'd recommend? A blank book to start writing the family tree down in?

Hi, MM -
    Welcome to FTF!

You might want to look thru this information in the ftf Reference Library (as well as other items there)

Since manatee are native to the US, I'm guessing she would be doing US research? Does she get along with computers? Ancestry.com is fairly easy to use, and will allow her to see others researching common ancestors. You could buy her a gift membership. Please note there's also a standing offer from Ancestry for two weeks free trial. On the other hand, if she has recent ancestors from the UK, you might want to consider FindMyPast.com

FamilySearch is free, has many records, and also wikis about genealogy. Connection to Florida's:
    Guide to Florida ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, and military records.

also:
    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 14-12-16, 23:48.

Comment

Hi and welcome MorbidManatee,

As Sarah has already given you some great advice, it might be a good idea for you to let your mum have a look at this forum, she can then get an idea of who/what/where she wants to begin with and pursue. [Some people just start on the Maternal lines, others the Paternal, I myself have just jumped in feet first and began with both!]

if there are any free Genealogy courses/Groups near to where you live? that would be a good way to kick start the 'bug'

it does seem very daunting when you first set out BUT if she sticks with it, soon enough she will be helping out like the rest of us!..

we are always here to help and don't ever be afraid of asking a question.

Hope this helps

:smilee:
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks for the ideas and the welcome! She's alright with computers. I'll check those out.

Comment

I would advise your Mum to explore the FTF reference library - top left hand tab, above.
          That has really good explanations of HOW to research your tree, WHERE to find information and LINKS to relevant resources.

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Would also suggest you look at the software section in the FTF reference library. Good to start out how you mean to carry on - or at least how you should carry on - working methodically, making notes of your findings and sources (where the records were found).
            Family tree software allows you to do this easily without ending up with piles of paper everywhere!
            Elaine

Comment

Working...
            X