X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for my ancestor Philip Goldstein

Hi there, I wonder if anyone can help.

- My great grandfather was called Philip GOLDSTEIN
    - I think he was from Danzig in Poland and immigrated in around 1899 (learned from 1901 census).
    - He lived in 15 Dewhurst Road in Hammersmith and was a grocer
    - He is listed here as being a seatholder of the Hammersmith and West Kensington Synagogue

- At his death he gave quite a bit of money (around £3,000 by memory) to his children so I'm guessing he was quite well-off. (Learned from London Gazette)

However I can't find out any more about him. Ancestry throws up nothing, nor does google searching other than what's above.

Are there likely to be further synagogue records about him?

Or any way of finding out where he was a grocer - probably in Hammersmith near where he lived I'd guess?

Or any ideas on how to find him in Poland? I'm pretty proficient with JRI but haven't found anything - probably because we think he's likely to have changed his name on immigration.

All the best,

Antonio

Hi Antonio
    His naturalisation certificate is on Ancestry gives lots of information, his birthplace, parents etc. Link below.

Discover your family history and build a family tree with the world’s largest genealogy website. Search birth records, census data, obituaries and more!

Moggie

Comment

Wow Moggie, you may have blown something wide open for me here.

I had seen that certificate a few years ago when I first started this, but I discounted it because his wife's name was incorrect. Looking more closely now, I realise that he married my great grandmother later on, and so I guess it's totally possible he remarried after a divorce or death.

So, I do think it probably is him, and finally I know his parents' names, where he comes from and so on.

I do need to check though and so far I haven't found conclusive proof - other than the fact they have the same birth year, they were both grocers with the same name living in London. Also there are no clashing census records - he's in soho until 1901 then in hammersmith from 1911. I think this is probably enough to say it's the same person but I always like to be sure!

I now have loads to get on with - thank you SO MUCH for pointing this out to me!

Louis

Comment

I've pm-ed you, Louis
        Jacky

Comment

You may want to look for the naturalisation case papers at the National Archives at Kew, the document above is the certificate from the end of the process, but the papers should have a lot more detail.
          Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
          Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

That's a great tip Antony - I'll definitely do that!

Comment

Just to let other posters know....I found Philip GOLDSTEIN mentioned in a "One name study".....via another family surname.
              Jacky

Comment

Working...
              X