Squire/s!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squire/s!

anyone want a headache of the family tree kind? getting in a right old pickle with this lot I can tell you!

been on this case all week and got more folk coming out the woodwork, and I'm still no nearer getting them sorted!
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Not your Foulds still Julie ??:(
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
      Not your Foulds still Julie ??:(
      Noo Kat, [well, kinda!] These are 'Squire' BUT I have Foulds' marrying in to them and I can't figure out who belongs where!..

example:

John Squire b. 1793 Woodhouse, leics m Hannah Foulds b. 1799 Woodhouse, Leics. Marriage - 13 Mar 1821
      Marriage Place-Woodhouse, Leicester, England.
      He is a Farmer.

I then have

Henry Squire b. 1811 Woodhouse, m Hannah Foulds b. 1814 Woodhouse.

Name Henry Squire
      Spouse Hannah Foulds
      Marriage Date 21 Oct 1832
      Parish Woodhouse.

I also have Two different John Squire born in Woodhouse/Barrow within a few years of one another, BOTH marry Two women with surname Wainwright
      all with similar names and trying to pick out who belongs with who.

With Henry & Hannah Foulds, there are some children that have MMN as FOWLER.. and even in one marriage record I have found Henry marries a Hannah Fowler, [and even thinking that one died and the other was a second wife doesn't work either as the children's MMN's are scattered over 20 yrs!]

bet you wish you hadn't asked Kat! :smilee:
      Last edited by Darksecretz; 12-12-16, 13:39.
      Julie

Comment

Will have a look later but promising nowt
        Kat

Comment

Will have a look later but promising nowt

thank you Kat x
          Last edited by Darksecretz; 12-12-16, 13:38.
          Julie

Comment

well, this is just getting mad now, fell upon a load of Foulds/Squires that were baptists, all little clusters that are taking over...

lol I have a set of parents male is a Squire wife is a Foulds, they have a child and then that child marries a Foulds!..

how my life rolls at the moment!
            Julie

Comment

Makes you wonder how they knew which family was which themselves! I had something similar yesterday. Not a particulalry common name, marriage cert said his father was George, a farmer. I found FIVE different ones baptized to five different farmer George in the same small place within two years! I tried to follow each one up but very difficult. I think I'll have to shelve them for the moment.
              Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                Makes you wonder how they knew which family was which themselves! I had something similar yesterday. Not a particulalry common name, marriage cert said his father was George, a farmer. I found FIVE different ones baptized to five different farmer George in the same small place within two years! I tried to follow each one up but very difficult. I think I'll have to shelve them for the moment.
                Anne
                that is very similar to what I have found too with the Squire families, BUT I am slowly making progress, just need to remember which one I am looking at is the right one before I add the details!..
                Julie

Comment

SQUIRES, CLARA FOWLER
                  GRO Reference: 1853 S Quarter in BARROW UPON SOAR Volume 07A Page 132

SQUIRE, HENRY 55 Order
                  GRO Reference: 1866 S Quarter in BARROW UPON SOAR Volume 07A Page 75

MMMM! with the birth of Clara in 1853 and being so late after Hannah and Henry's previous child, Frederic - 1839 - and the fact that Henry didn't die until 1866 - Is it possible that they adopted Clara and Annie (haven't found a birth for Annie yet)
                  I can't find a Squire/Fowler marriage in Leicestershire tho'.
                  Kat

Comment

Name Henry Suyer Or Squire
                    Spouse's Name Hannah Fowler
                    Event Date 21 Oct 1832
                    Event Place Woodhouse, Leicester, England
                    I suspect this is the marriage you found?

SQUIRE, FREDERICK - Order
                    GRO Reference: 1839 D Quarter in BARROW UPON SOAR Volume 15 Page 30
                    SQUIRE, FREDERICK FOWLER Order
                    GRO Reference: 1839 D Quarter in BARROW UPON SOAR Volume 15 Page 32
                    SQUIRE, FREDERICK FOWLER Order
                    GRO Reference: 1839 D Quarter in BARROW UPON SOAR Volume 15 Page 33

SQUIRES, ANNE FOWLER Order
                    GRO Reference: 1855 D Quarter in BARROW UPON SOAR Volume 07A Page 124
                    SQUIRES, CLARA FOWLER Order
                    GRO Reference: 1853 S Quarter in BARROW UPON SOAR Volume 07A Page 132

SQUIRE, AMOS FOULDS Order
                    GRO Reference: 1842 M Quarter in BARROW UPON SOAR Volume 15 Page 37

can't find Amos on census - died?

Off out now
                    Kat

Comment

I have Amos Squires from Woodhouse Eaves in my tree, but I'm a bit stuck with him. Have I mentioned this before? It rings a faint bell. I'll just check where I've got to with him.
                      Last edited by Mary from Italy; 13-12-16, 14:49.

Comment

OK, my Amos was the son of Samuel Squire and Ann Foulds, who were married in Woodhouse in 1834.

Birth:
                        SQUIRE, AMOS /mmn FOULDS

1851: Eaves St., Woodhouse, Leicestershire (with parents Samuel and Ann)
                        1861: 130 Wharf St., Leicester, apprentice butcher

He married Elizabeth Tompkin in Leicester in 1865, but I lose him after the marriage.

In 1871 Elizabeth is living with her parents, but she's shown as married.
                        In 1880 Elizabeth remarries, to my ancestor William Wood North. I don't have this cert, so I don't know if she was calling herself a widow.

I've never found a death for Amos.

I found one that looked promising in Canada, but it appears to be a different Amos Squires.

Comment

So Amos is not of this tree then Mary although Samuel could be brother or cousin to Henry. Hannah as a widow lived at 1 Eaves St 1871.
                          Julie, do you have baptisms for Caroline, Frances and Frederic. Otherwise it looks like Henry married Fowler in 1934 not Foulds in 1832 although there could be a death for Hannah Squire/Foulds before 1834? Still don't like the look of that long gap of 14 years between children. I see some trees have a Francis b 1834 and a Mary 1840
                          Last edited by Katarzyna; 13-12-16, 17:15.
                          Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                            OK, my Amos was the son of Samuel Squire and Ann Foulds, who were married in Woodhouse in 1834.

Birth:
                            SQUIRE, AMOS /mmn FOULDS

1851: Eaves St., Woodhouse, Leicestershire (with parents Samuel and Ann)
                            1861: 130 Wharf St., Leicester, apprentice butcher

He married Elizabeth Tompkin in Leicester in 1865, but I lose him after the marriage.

In 1871 Elizabeth is living with her parents, but she's shown as married.
                            In 1880 Elizabeth remarries, to my ancestor William Wood North. I don't have this cert, so I don't know if she was calling herself a widow.

I've never found a death for Amos.

I found one that looked promising in Canada, but it appears to be a different Amos Squires.
                            I have found this Samuel/Ann family and have plotted it, I'm hot on the trail of tracking some more of the foulds/Squire clan though so am up to my eyeballs in records...lol..

just had a quick look and Samuel's parents were Joseph Squire and Mary Foulds.
                            Julie

Comment

So Amos is not of this tree then Mary although Samuel could be brother or cousin to Henry. Hannah as a widow lived at 1 Eaves St 1871.
                              Julie, do you have baptisms for Caroline, Frances and Frederic. Otherwise it looks like Henry married Fowler in 1934 not Foulds in 1832 although there could be a death for Hannah Squire/Foulds before 1834? Still don't like the look of that long gap of 14 years between children. I see some trees have a Francis b 1834 and a Mary 1840
                              no Kat I don't.

I did find a marriage though that is them:

Name Henry Squire
                              Spouse Hannah Foulds
                              Marriage Date 21 Oct 1832
                              Parish Woodhouse

I would look in my Leicestershire marriage CD but it has gone walkies!

Henry/Hannah tree ~ http://person.ancestry.co.uk/tree/88...51073926/facts

and I do agree with you that the gap in the births would indicate a second marriage.

btw the tree is just a working tree and I am still working on it..

the whole reason for this was to try and connect the various Squire/Foulds marriages.. its a nightmare!
                              Julie

Comment

and I still haven't managed to connect Joseph Foulds to Henry [yet]
                                Julie

Comment

Mary, I have been looking for Amos too and haven't spotted him either.. he either died or changed his name and married/moved away, I didn't check any trade directories to see if he did become a Butcher or not. I did find it weird that Elizabeth married another Butcher though!

I didn't check prison records either, presumably you did?
                                  Julie

Comment

Not so surprising that she married another butcher; in 1861 Amos was living at 130 Wharf St., Leicester, the premises of the butcher he worked for, Elizabeth was next door at 132 Wharf St., and in 1875 William's butcher's shop is listed in the directories at 134 Wharf Street.

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                                      and I still haven't managed to connect Joseph Foulds to Henry [yet]

that should be Joseph Squire to Henry Squire! getting myself in a right old muddle!
                                      Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                                        Not so surprising that she married another butcher; in 1861 Amos was living at 130 Wharf St., Leicester, the premises of the butcher he worked for, Elizabeth was next door at 132 Wharf St., and in 1875 William's butcher's shop is listed in the directories at 134 Wharf Street.
                                        mmm

am still working on this but have had some puter problems today and it is looking like i'll have to back everything up and wipe it!
                                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                                        X