• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW1 Medal card

I'm trying to establish if the medal card for
    Thomas Bryan
    Leicestershire Regiment
    Regimental Number: 22225

relates to Thomas Bryan born 1879 Leicester who, in 1911 and prior to his marriage in 1915, lived at 31 Dryden Street, Leicester. Thomas's occupation on marriage cert = shoe machine operator

I've looked on the Leicestershire 'Tigers' website but no additional info found.

Is anyone please able to find a service record for Pte Thomas Bryan 22225 or Thomas Bryan b1879?
    Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

I've had a hunt but cannot see a service record for him.

Comment

Thanks for looking Jill ... I've managed to find all his brothers' service records but not his (yet)

As I found one of his brother's regiment name, service number and rank on the absent voters list 1918-1921 - I'd appreciate it if someone would please take a look for Thomas Bryan, Leicester.
      Last edited by LeicestershireLass; 12-12-16, 09:27.

Comment

Hello I have had a similar thing with my granddads service records ww1. He was in the Notts Derby Sherwood Foresters as were 2 of his brothers. I can find all the records of service for the brothers but very little on my granddad , apparently a lot of records were burnt and lost through bombing and this is the reason why some are missing there is an ongoing attempt to retreave and repair what they can of the so called ' burnt records. Never the less I will have a hunt and see if I can find anything with regards your query.
        yvonne

Comment

thanks Yvonne

Comment

Hello again just to let you know there is a very good site called ' Great War Forum ' it is full of info on all the regiments ect and the people on it are very friendly and knowledgable. they helped me a lot. Also I think I found your Thomas Bryans family in the 1881 and 1891 census if you haven't got the details of those let me know.

Comment

p.s sorry 1901 and 1891 have a family in the 1881 but not sure about that one

Comment

Thanks for info Yvonne, I've got info from censuses. Now trying to find his WW1 military service record.

Comment

Have an absent voters list for Leics;D
                  can see Charles but no Thomas

BRYAN CHARLES WOLSEY STREET ABBEY 1918 DECEMBER
                  Last edited by Elaine; 19-12-16, 21:52.
                  Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                  http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Hi Elaine ... I found Charles a while ago, but subs now expired so not able to look for Thomas. Thanks for looking.

Comment

Still trying to ascertain if there is a military record for Thomas …
                      also
                      any info about him between 1915 and 1935.

Know that he;
                      married Frances in 1915, occ: shoe machine operator, abode: Dryden Street, Leicester
                      died 1935, abode: Oxendon Street, Leicester

Comment

Have you got the info on his children.

4 born between 1916 and 1926 on Freebmd with mmn Lock

The birth certs would give address and occupation up till 1926.

Otherwise only found what you have on the military record
                        Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Thanks Lin … I'm starting to think logically now … taking into account his marriage in 1915 + births of first 2 children, is it likely that he enlisted?

Was there an age limit for recruits / conscripts?
                          Last edited by LeicestershireLass; 05-11-18, 15:48.

Comment

Not sure about recruitment aged for WW1 but think it was about 40 for WW2.

Both my grandfathers were in WW1. We only know about 1 because of his war medals but his name is Arthur Thomas and the medals say Thomas Arthur. The other grandfather I can find nothing on him at all.

I only put in up to 1935 for births!!
                            Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Just looking at the electoral rolls

1930/1 7 Oxendon Street
                              Thomas and Frances L

Thomas Bryan 7 Oxendon Street

Looking through, they never moved and she is as Lily on earlier rolls

Frances still there 1939

I've tried the papers using the address only and then names and nothing came up
                              Last edited by Elaine; 05-11-18, 20:32.
                              Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                              http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Thanks Lin and Elaine. I tried to find him on Anc'y electoral rolls but no success!?!

Comment

Working...
                                X