hour on birth certs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hour on birth certs

how common was it to include the time of birth on records for single births? i know twins recorded time. i've found a previously unknown ancestor b.1845 in the strand, london. the cert records time of birth, but i can't see another child. this birth was preceded by two sets of twins in two years.

so is it likely there is another birth i have to somehow find, or was it practice to include the time in this district, regardless of multiple births?

some registrars did occasionally include time of birth for a singleton, but I believe it was pretty rare.

Have you tried checking the new GRO Index for both a suitable birth AND a death?
    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Without checking back, I know I have several birth certs for singleton births which include time of birth.....from memory, I believe they were certs from Oz and from Scotland...but may well be from elsewhere as well

Beverley

Comment

I'll make a correction to my post above...it was the Scottish births that recorded time as well as date. My Oz births seem to have recorded date only....including that of my father, who WAS a twin. His birth cert notes only that he was the elder of twins, not the time of birth.

Beverley

Comment

I have some singletons with timed births on early English birth certs. A lovely chap from the GRO popped a photocopy of the page of the ledger in with my order of a birth cert of 1850 from Midhurst district as there had been a query over the birthplace and he had phoned me about it. Every entry had the time recorded.

Comment

In the early years of civil registration registrars were often not sure whether to record time of birth as well as date, some included time of birth some did not.
            I have (English) certificates here for births in 1839 & 1842 etc. with time of birth written in.

Cheers
            Guy
            Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Thanks everyone. Macbev, my father's denotes the same as well.

Comment

Working...
              X