Ancestry acting odd..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry acting odd..

Has anyone else had issues with things records not displaying in the indexes at all?

I'm having a few, and am awaiting Ancestry [as they are looking into it]

just wondered if it was just me or if there were/are others,

at the moment I cannot access ANY England census [can see Wales/Scotland fine, but I don't want those :smilee: ]
    Last edited by Darksecretz; 07-12-16, 17:48.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

To be honest I've been having issues for a few weeks now, logging me out but still being logged in which is why I've turned towards researching & translating Stockton's school records instead.
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

I'm still getting the blank page quite often thought it might be temporary but it isn't ,I tried that where you remove the end of the web address, but why should we have to?

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
        I'm still getting the blank page quite often thought it might be temporary but it isn't ,I tried that where you remove the end of the web address, but why should we have to?
        it might be if you haven't got the latest browser that can cause problems with viewing web pages.

I'm still waiting, not much fun when you want to look/verify stuff and you can't access the census.. pppft
        Julie

Comment

I am using chrome and its fine for some records but not others, there is a thread on here about it somewhere.

Comment

question: do you search from your ancestry tree?
            what I mean is say you were on Joe Bloggs in your Ancestry tree, if you are on his facts page there is an option to 'search on Ancestry' from there. Can you search ALL of the census from there?

this is the part I'm having issues with :(
            Last edited by Darksecretz; 07-12-16, 20:42.
            Julie

Comment

yes I can Julie no problem there, wonder why you cannot

Comment

Yes I search from my trees too . Just looked up one of married- in and all her censuses came up. I'm using Chrome same as Val is.
                Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

I've had this issue the last few weeks. Some collection wouldn't work for a while, then it would come good. Updates maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                    I've had this issue the last few weeks. Some collection wouldn't work for a while, then it would come good. Updates maybe?
                    that's my line of thinking too, BUT when I contacted Ancestry and asked them if they were doing updates the answer was NO.

it's usually the BMD's that [the civil indexes] that go walkabout for me, not the census!

Thanks Val & Kat, I'm using Chrome too.

I now know WHY.................. blooming 'smart searching!!!!'

I sat 'fiddling' this morning, [as you do!] and realised that this [smart searcing] was enabled on my tree search side, so once again I have disabled it... and what do you know.. have got my census back! [not my sense!!]
                    Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                      that's my line of thinking too, BUT when I contacted Ancestry and asked them if they were doing updates the answer was NO.

it's usually the BMD's that [the civil indexes] that go walkabout for me, not the census!

Thanks Val & Kat, I'm using Chrome too.

I now know WHY.................. blooming 'smart searching!!!!'

I sat 'fiddling' this morning, [as you do!] and realised that this [smart searcing] was enabled on my tree search side, so once again I have disabled it... and what do you know.. have got my census back! [not my sense!!]
                      Where is that enabled? I have not been aware of that facility to activate or not! I have trouble with viewing images where I get an error page saying they can't find the location and giving a huge long address as relevant. It can be for any type of image at random times!

Margaret

Comment

I gave up with Chrome on Ancestry ages ago, even before the changes this time last year - I found that half the time the links just didn't even work. Firefox (touch wood) has been fine, I don't get the long URLS either.
                        Caroline
                        Caroline's Family History Pages
                        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                          Where is that enabled? I have not been aware of that facility to activate or not! I have trouble with viewing images where I get an error page saying they can't find the location and giving a huge long address as relevant. It can be for any type of image at random times!

Margaret
                          when you are on a persons page and you have gone to search from that page on the results page you will see 'records' and next tab is 'categories' on the records tab you will see 'smart filtering' it will either be 'on' or 'off' depending on what records you already have in your tree. If you have 1841/1851 cens for that person it OMITS them from the search results.... I must now remember to set it to OFF when I am searching..

something else to flipping remember!!

if you can't get what I am saying I will do a screen shot for you :smilee:
                          Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                            I gave up with Chrome on Ancestry ages ago, even before the changes this time last year - I found that half the time the links just didn't even work. Firefox (touch wood) has been fine, I don't get the long URLS either.
                            I have often wondered about the long urls.. I wondered if it might be because you have clicked on a link within a link within a link.. though technically that shouldn't matter should it?
                            Julie

Comment

when you are on a persons page and you have gone to search from that page on the results page you will see 'records' and next tab is 'categories' on the records tab you will see 'smart filtering' it will either be 'on' or 'off' depending on what records you already have in your tree. If you have 1841/1851 cens for that person it OMITS them from the search results.... I must now remember to set it to OFF when I am searching..

something else to flipping remember!!

if you can't get what I am saying I will do a screen shot for you :smilee:
                              No that makes sense as I have noticed that with birth and marriage where it will still show you marriages but no the one already saved to the tree - just hadn't realised it was something I could switch on and off!

Margaret

Comment

I have often wondered about the long urls.. I wondered if it might be because you have clicked on a link within a link within a link.. though technically that shouldn't matter should it?
                                Well no! all I do is click to look at the image within a record I have found so it should be there.

I assume it's a programming glitch or website design fault that is not associating the correct link with the page being viewed.

I get fed up of reporting errors so I often leave it and try again anther time.

Margaret

Comment

Well no! all I do is click to look at the image within a record I have found so it should be there.

I assume it's a programming glitch or website design fault that is not associating the correct link with the page being viewed.

I get fed up of reporting errors so I often leave it and try again anther time.

Margaret
                                  know what you mean Margaret, I have just messaged Ancestry via Facebook and asked if you can disable it and only turn it on when you need to, but it seems that the answer is no, every new search you need to disable it if it isn't needed.
                                  Julie

Comment

know what you mean Margaret, I have just messaged Ancestry via Facebook and asked if you can disable it and only turn it on when you need to, but it seems that the answer is no, every new search you need to disable it if it isn't needed.
                                    Well, it shouldn't matter really because you can see the list of records you have saved to that person immediately above the search results. The ones that are showing should all be new records - famous last words!

Margaret

Comment

Well, it shouldn't matter really because you can see the list of records you have saved to that person immediately above the search results. The ones that are showing should all be new records - famous last words!

Margaret
                                      true, will have to try and remember to turn it off when I search...lol
                                      Julie

Comment

I use Chrome with no particular problems (apart from occasional slowness) BUT I never search from a person's page. I usually have several tabs open, one with the tree on and another Ancestry one to do the searching on, as well as tabs for FMP, FreeBMD, FamilySearch etc. when I want to search for something about a person I go to the other tabs to do it. If I need to link it to the tree I can do it on the 'search' Ancestry tab and then go back to the 'dedicated' tree tab click on update (on the Chrome heading) and it fills in the new info.
                                        Anne

Comment

Working...
                                        X