Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW1 RAF record - what does it say? Help please

UrqJWWW1.jpg

My OH GGF was in the newly formed RAF in 1918. His record has just become available on FMP. However I've spent most of the day trying to decipher what it means without much luck so far.
    B.E.F is the British Expeditionary Force but the rest is a mystery. What did he do?

Please can you help

Many thanks
    Jane

hope someone can help I find it confusing sorry

Comment

Have a look at this book - the bit headed "W/T NCO Observer". It talks about No.1 (T) Wireless School at Flowerdown. That's presumably the abbreviation in your record 1(T) WS

Ian Philpott presents us here with a compendium of facts, operational histories and photo illustrations, combined to create a comprehensive account of the early years of the Royal Air Force. Illustrated throughout, it features details of all military operations from 1914 to 1918 which impacted upon the organisation. Also included are operational details of the Independent Bomber Force throughout 1918, a supplementary historical strand that is sure to appeal to Aviation enthusiasts with a taste for features of niche focus. Details of the airfields, landing grounds, seaplane bases and various other landmarks of this era are given, and readers are encouraged to use the work as a reference book, being as it is a weighty tome of encyclopedic scope. ??Sure to make a welcome addition to any aviation enthusiasts library, this well-researched piece of work has been a long time in the making. Philpott brings his typical flare to the project, leaving no stone unturned when it comes to this dynamic, defining period of Royal Air Force history.??As featured in the East Kent Mercury and Essence Magazine.
      Jackie

Comment

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
        Have a look at this book - the bit headed "W/T NCO Observer". It talks about No.1 (T) Wireless School at Flowerdown. That's presumably the abbreviation in your record 1(T) WS

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...flower&f=false
        Oh that's really interesting - Thank you Jackie That's a clue - I'm hopeful we can fill out some more bits

Comment

try contacting member -- annswabey on here, she does military research so perhaps can help re deciphering?
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
            try contacting member -- annswabey on here, she does military research so perhaps can help re deciphering?
            Brilliant - thanks for the tip

Comment

The people on this forum seem to be good at answering such questions. I see quite a few threads where they identified many of these acronyms.
              Phil
              historyhouse.co.uk
              Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Also try here:

The National Army Museum is the leading authority on Our Army and its impact on society past and present. We seek to inspire, engage and educate through our world class museum and collections.

The National Army Museum, Royal Hospital Road, Chelsea, London SW3 4HT, Tel: 020 7730 0717 - they provided the records.

Usually when you order Army/Military Records you get a list of abbreviations with them so I would have thought the Museum would be able to supply something like that.

Margaret
                Last edited by margaretmarch; 08-12-16, 10:25.

Comment

Working...
                X