Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another look up

not having much luck today
    I have this birth reg but cannot find it on the new GRO search anybody see what I am doing wrong thanks
    Miriam Gutantag
    Registration Year 1862
    Registration Quarter Oct-Nov-Dec
    Registration district Whitechapel
    Parishes for this Registration District Whitechapel
    Inferred County London
    Volume 1c
    Page 382

Gutanlag. Miriam

Dec quarter
    Whitechapel
    VIP 01c page 382

mmn Joel

Vera

Comment

well, it is the same on Freebmd, so should be in the new Index ....

Births Dec 1862 (>99%)
      GUTANTAG Miriam Whitechapel 1c 382

Here you are!!!!!

I put in "phonetically similar variations" for both names, and it came up

I think you can submit a correction

GUTANLAG, MIRIAM JOEL Order
      GRO Reference: 1862 D Quarter in WHITECHAPEL Volume 01C Page 382
      Last edited by Sylvia C; 06-12-16, 04:49.
      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

On the New GRO I think if you search using the Volume number you have to add a zero in front of a single no. ie 01C not 1C
        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia C View Post
          I think you can submit a correction

GUTANLAG, MIRIAM JOEL Order
          GRO Reference: 1862 D Quarter in WHITECHAPEL Volume 01C Page 382
          Of course, that maybe what the register entry says ?
          Last edited by AntonyM; 06-12-16, 09:11.
          Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
          Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

oh thanks so much for that

Comment

Originally posted by AntonyM View Post
              Of course, that maybe what the register entry says ?
              Hmm, I found one indexed as OCKERLEY in the new GRO but when the PDF arrived, the surname was clearly the expected ACKERLEY.

Comment

All indexes have errors in them ....
                Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk

Comment

Antony ............

As I posted, it is on Freebmd as GutanTag, therefore it seems that GutanLag is a mistake on the new GRO Index
                  My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia C View Post
                    Antony ............

As I posted, it is on Freebmd as GutanTag, therefore it seems that GutanLag is a mistake on the new GRO Index
                    Could well be - but my point was that both indexes are made by someone originally reading the same entry but recording it differently - it is impossible to know for certain what the register says without looking at it, and even then it can be difficult. The new GRO index has many errors (or it seems to), but then so does FreeBMD's version of the same information. The errors are just different !

Comment

Working...
                    X