Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended extended family tree charts

Hello,

I'm new to Family Tree Forum, but have been researching my family tree for a number of years. I have decided to print my tree as it stands and wish to make copies for interested people in my family. I will need to transfer the information I have to a commercial program that offers extened family tree making charts which can encompass nine generations and over 560 people. I would like to print the charts myself at our local printing company who have said that they can do charts up to 3X6 feet. My questions are as follows:

1. Can people recommend a good company from which I can transfer my existing family tree files to an extended family tree chart

2. Once the extended family tree chart is completed, do the commercial companies allow the user to makes as many copies of the tree at the printer of
    of the user's choice, or is it set up so that one can only order the charts from that particular company?

I would like to have a very plain chart with names and birth and death dates only. I would appreciate any suggestions the group might wish to share.

Thanks.

RufusAlxander

This company is often highly recommended:

Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufusalxander View Post

1. Can people recommend a good company from which I can transfer my existing family tree files to an extended family tree chart
      What is the format of your existing files?
      Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine,

Thank you for your very prompt reply. The format of my family tree file is PDF.

Wanda

Comment

Dar Craoline, Thank you for your suggestion re printing and extended family tree chart. I am checking out the company you suggested. Cheers! Wanda

Comment

Dar Craoline, Thank you for your suggestion re printing and extended family tree chart. I am checking out the company you suggested. Cheers! Wanda
            If you had the file in gedcom then you could put it into Family Tree maker and create your own chart which would be fine if you only want a simple layout and information.

How did you create the pdf file?
            Margaret

Comment

How many individuals do you have on the tree? As Margaret has suggested software such as Family Tree Maker would enable you to create charts for printing locally, or via a company such as Genealogy Printers which Caroline suggested.

You'll find other software suggestions in our Reference Library
              Elaine

Comment

I used Echo Family Tree Maker and saved it in pdf.

Thanks for answering my questions, Margaret.

Comment

I have nine generations and about 565 individuals in the tree. I would like to print it locally as it will be less expensive for other family members to access it. I do only want birth and death dates and nothing fancy as far as borders, etc.

Thank you, Elaine,for helping me with these questions.

Comment

you could also try here. [though not sure where you are based so it might not be that useful]

Your family tree chart printed on a single sheet/roll of paper or canvas using our wide format printing service.
                    Julie
                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I used Echo Family Tree Maker and saved it in pdf.
                      Is this the program -

Is the only method of export via pdf?

If you have exported to pdf can you not get a local printer to print from the pdf file?

I can't imagine there is a way of importing your tree into other software via pdf - your only option would be to input manually and with 550+ individuals that will take some time.
                      Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                        Is this the program -

Is the only method of export via pdf?

If you have exported to pdf can you not get a local printer to print from the pdf file?

I can't imagine there is a way of importing your tree into other software via pdf - your only option would be to input manually and with 550+ individuals that will take some time.
                        it looks like you can upload in GEDCOM, so presumably you can export as one?
                        Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                          it looks like you can upload in GEDCOM, so presumably you can export as one?
                          Just had a look at the site and found this:-

To move your information from Family Echo to one of these programs, download from Family Echo in GEDCOM format and then import the GEDCOM into the other program. After editing on your computer, you can put your family tree back online by exporting to GEDCOM and then re-importing into Family Echo.

So a gedcom can be generated and used in FTM to make a chart.

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post

To move your information from Family Echo to one of these programs, download from Family Echo in GEDCOM format and then import the GEDCOM into the other program. After editing on your computer, you can put your family tree back online by exporting to GEDCOM and then re-importing into Family Echo.

Margaret
                            :smilee:
                            Julie

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post

Well found, Margaret. I looked through the FAQs but didn't see it.
                              Elaine

Comment

It was under a link at the bottom 'Resources' which was giving info about places to research and software.

Margaret

Comment

Thank you Julie. I am in Canada.

Comment

Thank you so much, Elaine.

Wanda

Comment

Working...
                                    X