James Harper Death Alverstoke 1853

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Harper Death Alverstoke 1853

I am looking for any evidence of the above death or Burial. I think his wife's name was Elizabeth nee Lynch they were married in Belfast in 1847. I think he may have been in the Army.

Did you get that from Freebmd??

Deaths Sep 1853 (>99%)
    Harper James Alverstoke 2b 242
    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

James Harper
      Death quarter 3
      Death year 1853
      District Alverstoke
      County Hampshire
      Volume 2B
      Page 242

Comment

A James Harper was certainly buried in Alverstoke

England, Select Deaths and Burials, 1538-1991

Name: James Harper
        Burial Date: 23 Sep 1853
        Burial Place: Alverstoke, Hampshire, England
        FHL Film Number: 1596262

You'd better buy the death certificate to see who the informant was!
        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Had a look at the GRO and he is age 9

HARPER, JAMES age 9
          GRO Reference: 1853 S Quarter in ALVERSTOKE Volume 02B Page 242
          Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
          http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

There are 4 Public Family Trees on ancestry that say a James Harper died in 1853, and that hje married Elizabeth Lynch on 9 Nov1847

Ireland, Select Marriages, 1619-1898 shows that James Harper, age 23, father James Harper married Elizabeth Lynch, age 21, father John Lynch, in Belfast

Comment

This is interesting, from one of the trees ...........

12th December 1853 Eliza Harper married Thomas O'Meara

The Brompton Roman Catholic Chapel, Medway Kent

They have a copy of the certificate ........... Eliza Harper father's was John Lynch, Gardener.

Comment

Thank you all for your prompt replies, Elizabeth Harper ( nee lynch was my Great Grandmother) she re married my Great Grandfather Thomas O'Meara in Dec 1853 in Brompton Medway Kent. If the James Harper who died in 1853 was only 9 then it is the wrong person, but could the age be Wrong?

Comment

The new GRO indexes give all the ages. It is fairly sure to be a child but childrens' ages are subject to an error which gives 'age 9' whether it is 9 days, 9 months or 9 years.
                  Anne

Comment

If James Harper was 23 in 1847, then he would have been about 29 in 1853.

You will have to buy the death certificate to check if the age has been transcribed wrongly as 9 instead of 29 on the new GRO Index (and it is not beyond the bounds of possibility!!). That is the only way.

If it is "your" James, then you should notify GRO Index of the fault ............. they do say errors could have been made!

Comment

He was 29 in 1853 according to his birth from the public tree - born Ireland 1829. Looks like maybe the 9 is an error. Would be worth buying the death cert.
                      Do you have him on the 1851 census?
                      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Hi Sylvia,
                        Yes I did get that from Free BDM would it be easier to try to find his Burial sight

Comment

In the 1851 Census for Hampshire there is James Harper aged 21 a private in the 82nd Regiment b St Phillips Glaster bur no mention of his wife Elisabeth.

Comment

Just found him in Family Search 1851 Census it has him as unmarried so it is back to the drawing board

Comment

Working...
                            X