Scottish Marriage Cert query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish Marriage Cert query

where it says signed by Henry Gosnell does it mean he was present ? as I am still trying to pin this man down ThanksHenry Gosnell.JPG

No it doesn't. Henry did not register the event. He may well have been present at the ceremony seeing as he was the father of one of the parties. I think the column you show with his name is the one for the parent's names which is no indicator of presence at the marriage.
    Can you please post the whole width of the cert. so I can get a better idea of what was recorded?
    Last edited by GallowayLass; 26-11-16, 19:44.

Comment

oops sorry its a marriage for a Thomas Henry Gosnell illigitimate son of Thomas Henry Gosnell and Emily maiden name Kemp, they never married.
      I cannot find the father anywhere in 1891 or after Thomas junior's birth in 1895 ,and only think I have his Birth and him in 1871 and 1881
      I have asked for help before but he is elusive.

Comment

Val, how sure are you that the groom is the correct one? ie. the son of your brick wall Henry. The certificate says that the parents were married - Henry Gosnell (rock labourer) and Emily Gosnell maiden surname Miller. Neither parent is shown as deceased so they were presumably alive at that date. You only have the word if parties to the marriage for that as the cert records what was declared to the Registrar.

Comment

oh I know for sure as Emily is my great Grandmother ,she was born Emily Kemp married a Muller who died in 1892 she then had twins by this Thomas Henry Gosnell, Violet and Lily in 1894 and both died within a year, and this Thomas in 1895 but I cannot find Thomas senior after Thomas juniors birth in 1895 or before he met Emily, all I know is Emily is in the workhouse in 1899 in Mile End with her other two daughters Rose and Daisy and Thomas junior, and in the Workhouse Infirmary in Holborn in 1900 ,and here she is in 1911 living with a Henry Ravers whom she also never married
          Discover your family history and build a family tree with the world’s largest genealogy website. Search birth records, census data, obituaries and more!

backurl=http://person.ancestry.co.uk/tree/6737403/person/-1211937482/facts/citation/6206749226/edit/record

She did finally marry again in 1926 to a Patrick Daly

Thanks for looking
          Last edited by Guest; 26-11-16, 21:22.

Comment

Ah, right. The cert then should have said Emily Gosnell formerly Muller m.s. Kemp. Not realising that, I thought it might be a different person.
            Have you figured out why the marriage took place in Scotland. Also you could try the valuation roll for the address in the year the marriage took place to see if the groom or his father was the tenant of the address the groom gave. Hopefully they had different occupations so you would know which one it was. It may be neither of them though, if the groom was staying with a friend or his best man
            Last edited by GallowayLass; 26-11-16, 22:18.

Comment

thanks Galloway I have tried everything I can think of , I am almost sure he started to use his mothers maiden name at some time and his stepfathers another?
              I did find a contact who has Thomas junior in his tree ,but he does not seem to know anything about the father either.

Comment

Working...
              X