Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could someone help to decipher a 1651 Deed please

Our Cottage was Copyhold of Wimbish Hall in record DDAd-142 it states,
    At the meeting held on 26 September 1677 said that John Flack had died of the Tenement called Tye Green in Wimbish including a rood (0.25 acre) of ground was taken over by Gabriel Westley.

I am trying to find out the year when John Flack took over our Cottage. The following is the Deed record D/DB T721 of 1651 it mentions John Flack but I am having trouble reading all of the Deed.

Peter
    Attached Files

Slippery,

that is much too small to be able to read it, you need to use an external hosting system [like Photobucket or Flickr] and then post onsite. [The paperclip attachment feature only allows a very small image] :smilee:
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
      Slippery,

that is much too small to be able to read it, you need to use an external hosting system [like Photobucket or Flickr] and then post onsite. [The paperclip attachment feature only allows a very small image] :smilee:
      But if you click on the thumbnail a larger image appears. Right click on that and you have the option to save the jpeg file-I've just done this and have a very readable version up on screen not that this necessarily means I'll be any more able to decipher the old writing!
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

That writing is very difficult to decipher. Just going through it looking for John Flack with a nearby date I find one 11 lines up from the bottom of the first section however I cannot decipher the context. What I have is, I think

"on the first day of October? 1650 all ?? in the Mansion house of John Flack the younger ?? in Walden aforesaid: That then this .."

and then I have nothing.

David
        Last edited by DavidNewton; 25-11-16, 08:22.

Comment

Yes, I agree with what David has decoded. At least it is in English! However it is tantalisingly difficult to grasp!
          I have got a good image by saving it to my computer and enlarging but to not much avail I'm afraid. Sorry
          Anne

Comment

Thanks all for trying but it appears that you have the same problems as me. I received the scan from SEAX who have up to the minute equipment.

Our Cottage land area changes from 1 rood to 2 roods and 1/2 acre but the fee is always 8pence per year by ancient rights. Attached to the plot was also a barn at 2pence per year.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by DavidNewton View Post
              That writing is very difficult to decipher. Just going through it looking for John Flack with a nearby date I find one 11 lines up from the bottom of the first section however I cannot decipher the context. What I have is, I think

"on the first day of October? 1650 all ?? in the Mansion house of John Flack the younger ?? in Walden aforesaid: That then this .."

and then I have nothing.
              I've tried transcribing more before and after this section but it still doesn't mean much!

....and are now in the occupation of the said Thomas Barber or his assignes dothe cosi? biharfe of Mary Flack daughter of John Flack the elder of Walden in the County of Essex promise and of his heirs and assignes for ever provided ? ? upon condition following that if the said tHomas Barber his heires ??or assignes doi or shall pay unto the said Mary Flack her ? ? or assignes the full sume of thirty three pounds fifteini shillings lawful money of England upon the sixt day of October 1650 att or in the mansion house of John Flack theyounger situati in Walden aforesaide then this surrender to his bonde or otherwise to remain in full force & ? which said some of thirty three pounds fifteni shillinge was not paid ? the day aforesaid nor is yett paide upon ? to this court to ? the said Mary Flack now the wife of Samuell Liader ? and doth beseich the Lord of the Manor to admitt her to the ? aforesaid ? their appartinance to whom the Lord by his ? grant.....
              Last edited by JudithM; 25-11-16, 12:25.
              Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Working...
              X