Unusual cause of death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual cause of death

I have just received the death certificate of my grandmother's sister. She died in September 1895, at the age of two months. She died at home, and the cause given is 'Sudden convulsions supervening on abscess in the jaw.' Under this it says 'Natural'. The certificate has been issued by the Coroner for the County of London, following an inquest.
    Can anyone throw anymore light on what this actually means?
    I'm guessing that poison from the abscess may have entered her blood stream and caused convulsions, but any suggestions/confirmation are welcome.
    Thanks in advance
    Denise

Sounds like the abscess was infected, possibly septic. Convulsions would imply a seizure, though could be septic shock instead.

Comment

I think you are correct. Supervene means to ensue or follow on from.

Comment

Supervening AN abscess makes more sense

Poor little scrap, must have been in agony.

OC

Comment

Good point OC, it's hard to tell if it's an or on, but in this explanation an makes more sense. This poor baby was only two months old, what could have given her an abscess? I'm not sure if jaw really means gum, and she was possibly teething early? I'm going to look around for a newspaper report, I'm hoping there will be something as it went to an inquest.
          Thanks for the replies
          Denise

Comment

fevers are a common cause of seizures, and that kind of infection would have lead to fevers. Also, the infection could have crossed into the brain. I used to see cases of meningitis - they used to go from well, to extremely ill in less than a day

Comment

Working...
            X