Family of Marhsall - on 1881 Census at Barking, Essex - hitting brick wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family of Marhsall - on 1881 Census at Barking, Essex - hitting brick wall

I am unable to find any record of George Marshall nor my great g/mother Elizabeth Marshall nor their daughter also Elizabeth Marshall.

I have birth certificate for my grandfather William Marshall - born 23rd Jan 1800 at Morgans Building, Barking to George Marshall (stonemason) and Elizabeth Marshall (formerly Stevens). He was not registered until 8 March 1880 at Romford, sub district of Barking Town, Essex. And the only other info I have found on Ancestry/Familysearch is Jane Marshall age 47 on the 1881 census for Barking residing with daughter Elizabeth aged 11 said to be born Buckingham, Buckinghamshire and William aged 2 born in Barking. Two ladies are jute workers lodging with James and Charlotte Taylor (not related) In 1891 census the Taylors are living alone in an Alms House. Jane put her birthplace as Bermondsey, Surrey.

Family "talk" says George was from Manor Park - but there is one in London and one in Buckinghamshire. Cannot find "my" George in either place.
    Also by 1881 Jane states she is widowed and I was always told he died in a railroad accident - no place nor date ever given. Unable to find marriage event and I cannot find daughter nor mother in any later census data. Daughter Elizabeth said to have married a police constable and family moved to Scotland, Mother Elizabeth/Jane remarried a Parker (either Henry or Joseph). When my g/father signs up for the King's Own Rifles in 1901 he used the surname Parker and I understand his mother was still in Barking. I cannot trace the correct Mrs. Parker in Barking and I cannot trace daughter.

I have had great success with all my other family but this has stumped me.... I have some good clues but I cannot find the data.

Hi Therese and welcome to the forum

I'm not sure if this is significant but it may be worth following up. There's a marriage in Bethnal Green on 5th August 1884 between George Henry Parker (labourer) and Elizabeth Marshall. Both are widowed. Elizabeth's father is named as William Stevens (deceased)

Jackie

Comment

This is good info thanks Jackie. I tried to find out more but still cannot find George Henry Parker. Seems he went by Henry and there are so many "Henrys". Only his son Henry is on the 1891 Barking Census and I think Elizabeth is there as Elizabeth Grey (Widow) but her birth changes from 1834 to 1837 and birth place from Bermondsey to Clapton. On the Marshalls - still grasping at straws. There are Marshalls as occupation stonemason/bricklayer in Cranbrooke, Kent in Belper, Derbyshire in West Wycombe, Bucks and Haddley, Worcs. However no George with Elizabeth Jane (Jane Elizabeth).

Comment

I finally tracked down my mom's aunt Elizabeth Marshall.... Her father was Joseph Marshall so my grandfather was a half-brother (birth certificate says his father was George Marshall, Stonemason) I have been in contact with cousins from her marriage and they did not move to Scotland, nor was the spouse a policeman. Now I have real problem finding my grandfather's real father. The only digital record I have is that his mother said father was George Marshall, stonemason. I am unable to find this elusive George. I cannot connect him to being a relative of Joseph and up until 1877 Elizabeth Stevens-Marshall is still living in West Ham. Do not know why or when she relocated to Barking. I cannot find any relatives already in Barking so I assume she went with George. Thanks to Jackie for the marriage info that led to breakthrough.

Comment

This is the other thread re Elizabeth Marshall

This covers our searches for the elusive George Marshall (Stone Mason) amongst others.
          Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Working...
          X