Totally at a loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Totally at a loss

Where else to look ? My sister and myself have searched for a number of years to find my grandmothers birth registration. We have found all of her siblings who were all registered before and after my nans birth date but not her. The family had moved about over them years but out of all six children my nan is the only one we cannot find. All children were baptised more or less at the same time when they had eventually settled in Derby my nan being six yrs old at that time the others older or younger. Our mum has never come across nans birth cert yet she must have had one as she had a passport in the early seventies to go out to Australia meaning to spend the rest of her life there with one of her sons but returning to England after three yrs. She had said she was born in Grimsby and census records also state this. My sister has been in touch with the records office there but no luck we have tried all permutations of names ect in various searches we have done to no avail. We do have a lot of detail about the family but this is really bugging us. She was the spitting image of her sisters so much so you could mistake one for the other to a certain extent so we assume she was of the same parents. There is no possibility of them being twins or tripplets as none of the other sisters birth dates match. My nan was born in 1894. Totally flumuxed

Have you cast the net wider, to include the whole of Lincolnshire, England? Have you searched under different years (people did get their year of birth wrong) ? Have you tried surname spelling variations and other possible forenames? I have found that most people were actually registered after it became a legal requirement, but not necessarily with the name we expect.

My grandmother (born 1870) was alleged to have no birth registration and to have had to use a baptismal entry to qualify for the old age pension. (Her birth was registered at the appropriate time - I have a copy of the certificate - but the surname was recorded as McDonna, when the name was actually spelled as McDonough. When she married, the name was recorded as McDonald, so the correct marriage pairing does not feature in the GRO marriage index pairings.)
    My friend's grandfather (known as Walter P R******) was eventually found registered as Walter P**** - unbeknown to friend's family, the parents never married and Walter was indexed with no father, his mother being Mrs P****.

Great-aunt May had me going - registered at birth as Sarah Ann (after her mother) but married as May Sarah and at death recorded as plain May. Turned out she was born in May, so this was used as a nickname to distinguish her from her mother.

Jay
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 21-11-16, 14:38. Reason: punctuation
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

As your Nan is passed away, you can post her full name and those of her parents so we can try to help.

Comment

Originally posted by menaimeg View Post
        Where else to look ? My sister and myself have searched for a number of years to find my grandmothers birth registration. We have found all of her siblings who were all registered before and after my nans birth date but not her. The family had moved about over them years but out of all six children my nan is the only one we cannot find. All children were baptised more or less at the same time when they had eventually settled in Derby my nan being six yrs old at that time the others older or younger. Our mum has never come across nans birth cert yet she must have had one as she had a passport in the early seventies to go out to Australia meaning to spend the rest of her life there with one of her sons but returning to England after three yrs. She had said she was born in Grimsby and census records also state this. My sister has been in touch with the records office there but no luck we have tried all permutations of names ect in various searches we have done to no avail. We do have a lot of detail about the family but this is really bugging us. She was the spitting image of her sisters so much so you could mistake one for the other to a certain extent so we assume she was of the same parents. There is no possibility of them being twins or tripplets as none of the other sisters birth dates match. My nan was born in 1894. Totally flumuxed
        if you could give us a name and her parents names then perhaps we could help you look too,... welcome to the forum menaimeg! :smilee:
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hello and thanks for the relies and welcome.
          My nans name was Jessie Louise Churchyard born 12 August 1894 Grimsby
          Her parents were
          Alfred James Churchyard b. 1835 Yoxford Suffolk and Sarah Louisa Coldham b. 1868 West Dereham Norfolk they married in 1886 Clerkenwell London
          Children were
          Elizabeth Lucy Clara May b. 1889 Biggleswade Beds.
          James Fredrick b. 1892 Longford Beds
          Jessie Louise ( nan ) b. 1894 Grimsby
          Gertie Blanche b. 1898 Basford Nottingham
          Rosina May b. 1900 Burton-on Trent Derbyshire
          Henry Charles b. 1907 Derby City
          Violet b. 1910 Derby City I think that's them all , as you can see most had a few Christian names which seem to have been a common thing in the family throughout the previous generatation to this one.
          Many thanks

Comment

Oops got Alfred James d o b wrong it was 1863 it was his dad that was 1835 sorry

Comment

A friend,s gran had no BC but wanted a passport. The GRO found her birth four years BEFORE what she always saidc was her year of birth. She was very huffy about it and insisted to the end of her very long life that the GRO had it wrong and where were the missing four years of her life. Her family told her it must be right cos the GRO don't make mistakes and anyway, her parents names were so unusual it must be right.

I don't like it when things don't add up - how could you lose four years of your life?
              A quick dig around found her proper BC. The one the GRO had found was for an older sibling with a similar first name who died in infancy.

Incidentally you haven't always needed a BC in order to get a passport. You could swear an affidavit.
              OC

Comment

Did not know that about the passport. We have tried also to pinpoint the family being in Grimsby at the time of her birth but have come up blank, as far as we know , we have no other connection to Grimsby other than nan supposedly being born there.

Comment

I see that Alfred was recorded as a cooper in 1891 and a brewer's drayman in 1901. Both cooper and drayman are occupations which could have taken the family anywhere in the country, including Grimsby, which was a port and also had a fishing industry, both of which would have involved barrels and draymen to handle and transport them. So, although Grimsby, at first sight, looks odd-man out for the birthplace of one of the children, it is quite feasible that the family were there for a short time.

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I looked on the new GRO indexes using mother's maiden name and couldn't find Jessie.
                    Here are the others:

CHURCHYARD, ELIZABETH LUCY CLARA MAY COLDHAM
                    GRO Reference: 1889 J Quarter in BIGGLESWADE Volume 03B Page 368

CHURCHYARD, JAMES FREDERICK COLDHAM
                    GRO Reference: 1891 J Quarter in BIGGLESWADE Volume 03B Page 389

CHURCHYARD, GERTIE BLANCHE COLDON
                    GRO Reference: 1898 M Quarter in BASFORD Volume 07B Page 290

CHURCHYARD, ROSINA MAY COLDHAM
                    GRO Reference: 1900 S Quarter in BURTON UPON TRENT Volume 06B Page 395

CHURCHYARD, CHARLES HENRY COLDHAM
                    GRO Reference: 1907 D Quarter in DERBY Volume 07B Page 636

CHURCHYARD, VIOLET COLDHAM
                    GRO Reference: 1910 D Quarter in DERBY Volume 07B Page 619

For Gertie the mother's maiden name is spelt differently.

I have also tried omitting the mother's maiden name, and I also searched under Coldham, but nothing showed up.
                    It looks as though they just forgot or neglected to register Jessie's birth.
                    Elizabeth
                    Research Interests:
                    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

There is also Alfred, born 1903 in the Derby registration district:

CHURCHYARD, ALFRED COLDHAM
                      GRO Reference: 1903 S Quarter in DERBY Volume 07B Page 662
                      Elizabeth
                      Research Interests:
                      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

On the 1911 Census it is stated they had 8 children, one of whom was dead. So, including Jessie, we have accounted for them all.
                        Elizabeth
                        Research Interests:

Comment

Is Jessie on the 1939 register? (To check her dob). Do you have her marriage cert?

It is possible that she just wasn't registered, perhaps the family moved soon after she was born and it was overlooked.

OC

Comment

Looks like she married William Marvill 1915 Derby.

On 1939 register D O B 12 Aug 1984. Still in Derby
                            Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

1901 has the surname spelt Churchard
                              Am still looking

The death registration says born 12th August 1894 DERBY
                              Jessie Louise Marvill
                              Last edited by Janet H.; 21-11-16, 20:01.

Comment

I have the same problem with my grandmother's birth not being registered. Have found the baptism but not the birth registration. Think they just missed doing it. Think there was a fine for leaving it too long.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

England, Select Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
                                  View Record
                                  Name Jessie Louisa Churchyard
                                  Gender Female
                                  Baptism Date 23 Aug 1905
                                  Baptism Place St. Barnabas, Derby, Derbyshire, England
                                  Father Alfred James Churchyard
                                  Mother Louisa
                                  FHL Film Number 2082036
                                  Reference ID p67 St.Barnabas
                                  Household Members
                                  Name Age
                                  Jessie Louisa Churchyard
                                  Louisa
                                  Alfred James Churchyard

There are quite a few trees on Ancestry but some say Derby others Grimsby Lincolnshire
                                  Last edited by Janet H.; 21-11-16, 20:06.

Comment

Is it possible her birth never made it to the GRO? Have you tried the local register office in Lincolnshire or Derby? (as she was baptised there?)

Comment

Yes he came from a family that were in the pub trade as well as brick makers. On the birth certificate we have for Rosina he is down as a railway porter. Earlier census records him as being a cooper and journeyman.

Thanks

Comment

We have the baptisms for them all but have got to check on the Alfred born 1903. James Fredrick born 1892 in Langford Beds died in Derby in about 1907 age 15. I am sure it says that my nan was six when she was baptised which would make her d o b about 1899. Will have to go and dig through my paperwork a min .They were all baptised in Derby at the same time and same church.

Comment

Working...
                                        X