ALERT and WARNING - COMPUTER SCAM!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ALERT and WARNING - COMPUTER SCAM!

This is probably best directed to a Moderator but for information to all.
    I had a very strange E-mail this morning - correct E-address for me and correct for the person who was E-mailing me. Aparrantly a friend of mine had rushed off to Istanbul because a niece was very ill but on arriving there she found out the hospital would not commence urgent surgery required until money was upfront! She asked for an urgent loan.
    Fortunately I found the E-mail odd in the way it was worded - my friend is French but this was definitely not the way she would write an E-mail but I was concerned - it would appear her mobile phone or computer has been hacked because I am 100% sure it wasn't from her.

IT WAS A SCAM - I asked her to "send me John's phone no." - John is her husband but the writer of the E-mail obviously didn't know this and said she had no knowledge of John's no. - he also will have been hacked I suspect.

It sounds as though her computer has been hacked or, maybe, just mobile phone if she texts from it.
    The request to me was for £30,000 Euros to be sent to Istanbul by Western something or other and gave the address! Wonder why they want Euros in Istanbul??? (I know they want to joint the common market but ......)

I spoke to Cambridgeshire Police and they agreed this is a carbon copy of a very common kind of computer attack. They took details and said they would pass on to Fraud Squad. They said the mobile phone and/or computer belonging to friend may have been hacked and told me to change all my passwords (if you don't text on a mobile you don't need to do anything to it - I don't text since I haven't a clue how to!)

I have no idea if my computer would have been affected (or "infected") when I last used FTF - with a bit of luck since I have been at local hospital for a couple of days it isn't and I sincerely hope I haven't passed on a computer bug to the website

Now passwords have been changed I don't think I am a risk to anyone BUT thought I had better let you know.

Sue

very worrying what goes on lucky you checked

Comment

These sort of scam emails are quite common, although I haven't had one for a while. Usually you know very well the person is not stuck somewhere abroad. But if your friend is French you would have less idea of her movements. Well done for not falling for it.
      Anne

Comment

If someone asks me for money on the internet my antennae are immediately raised - probably called "meanness"!
        The thing that gave the sender of the e-mail away was the fact that when I asked for "John's mobile no" the writer had no idea who John was!! It is my friend's husband and I don't think she would have forgotten who he is!
        I would imagine that all names listed on her mobile or computer e-mail will have received a request.
        What gives me a certain amount of joy is the fact that someone thinks I am sending them all this money and will probably be waiting outside Western Union office in Istanbul Sue

Comment

Was it someone on here who had one of these scam emails a few years back, but the poor stranded "friend" was allegedly in Wales, where the British consul had refused to help them :D
          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Working...
          X