Family Names of the United Kingdom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Names of the United Kingdom

A new book, The Oxford Dictionary of Family Names in Britain and Ireland, has been published today. It has come from a project by The University of the West of England Bristol.

http://www1.uwe.ac.uk/cahe/research/...ics/fanuk.aspx

Amazon have it listed for £400 (a little outside most people's budget), however there is an online version, but that will only be available in educational establisments and public libraries.
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland

I am not sure what this work will contain that is not already covered by the two main books on surnames available in nearly every library in England, unless this new work is covering surnames in use today, rather than the historic surnames? (My grumble is that research money may have been used to cover old ground).

OC

Comment

Free access to the online version at Oxford Reference
      Login details: Username: fanbi / Password: onlineaccess
      (Available until end of November)
      Elaine

Comment

Thanks for the link Elaine, I've had a look. Mildy interesting, not spending £400 though!

Comment

Thanks for the Link Elaine.

Definitely not £400 worth, there isn't anything there that I haven't alrady found out from other books and the internet.

I was able to compare some of the name distribution maps with my own and they more or less match.
          Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
          Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
          Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
          Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
          Devine in Ireland

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
            Thanks, Elaine!

Comment

Thanks for the link Elaine.

It doesn't seem accurate for my Holdens because I KNOW that the place was named after them and the name Holden is not locative, it is a corruption of Half Dane, as recorded in the Domesday Book! You may think I am nitpicking, lol - but at 400 quid I think the work should be more accurate.

OC

Comment

Thanks, Elaine. Nothing new for me either, but good to be able to check it out.
                Jenny

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                  I wasn't able to sign in today - unfortunately, I didn't look up a couple of surnames when I could!

Comment

Working...
                  X