Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who was Mrs. George Gladstone?

Hello.

My name is Jan Oscar Bodøgaard, I'm a historian, retired, living in Bodø in the north of Norway. Together with a colleague we are writing a book about how english authors have presented Norway in their fiction books. One of the books I have found was published in 1871 by "the Religious Tract Society" in London. The title is "Norwegian Stories", and the author's name was Mrs. George Gladstone. The book contains two short stories, one is named "Fisherman Niels", and this Niels is living in Bodø.

I have tried to find some information about Mrs. George Gladstone, but have found none, except that she also used the name Jemima Compton, and that she wrote several books, similar to Norwegian Stories; simple, chrstian and edifying. Now I have found informatioan about a Mr. George Gladstone, who was "was a past chairman and director of the National Bible Society of Scotland and chairman of the London Missionary Society in 1906. He was also the chairman of directors of the Scottish Temperance League from 1895 till his death on 16th May 1910". He was married to Marjory Shirreff Morison in 1869, and now I wonder may be this is the writer I am looking for?I'm writing to this hoping someone can help me with more information about Mrs. George Gladstone. And Yes, I would be very, very happy if a got a resonse on this request!

Yours, Jan Oscar Bodøgaard

Hello Jan

Welcome to FTF.

Had a quick look at these names for you on the census and George and Marjory lived in Scotland and he was a Church Minister. She has no occupation. FMP only has the transcripts.

I'm sure someone else will be able to help with Scottish records better than me as I haven't had any dealings with them.

Good Luck
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Have you checked the will for Marjory Shireff Morison Gladstone to see if there is anything useful mentioned.

Elaine

Comment

How about books?

wonder what imaginary autobiography means?

And she's listed in a list of authors:

Comment

Hello.

Yes, I have checked the ScotlandsPeople, found information about her (when burn and so on), but nothing about her being the writer of several fiction books.

Fisherman Niels

Comment

Hello, I have seen those pages, but they don't tell that Mrs. George Gladstone was Marjory Gladstone from Glasgow. That's the problem.
            Thank you.

Comment

This is from "Craigton Cemetery Heritage Trail" compiled by Paul O'Cuinn - a leaflet from Glasgow City Council. Unfortunately the image of the headstone is from a distance. It only has one mention of Marjory though. I will look later to see what I can find.

28. Rev George Gladstone (1843-1910)
              (Minister, Govan School Board and the Missions.)

The Reverend George Gladstone was born in 1843 in the Borders village of Yetholm to writer Archibald Gladstone and Christian Scott. He attended Edinburgh University and studied for the Ministry at the Evangelical Union Theological Hall. He was ordained in 1865 aged twenty two and was inducted to Sanquhar Evangelical Union Church where he remained until 1871 before accepting a call to minister at Govan. At Govan he became interested in education and served as a member on the first Govan School Board.

One of his colleagues on the board was shipbuilder Alexander Stephen (1832-1899). He remained at Govan until the middle of 1876when he accepted a call from Dundas Street Church, Glasgow to become colleague and successor to Principal James Morison (1816-1893), the founder of the Evangelical Union. He was married to Principal Morison’s only daughter Marjory Shirreff on13 October 1869 at the home of Principal Morison, Florentine Bank House, Hillhead. George Gladstone became sole pastor of Dundas Street congregation when Principal Morison announced his retirement on 8th January 1884.In 1874 he was elected president of the Evangelical Union and was secretary when it amalgamated with the Congregationalists in 1897.
              He was a past chairman and director of the National Bible Society of Scotland and chairman of the London Missionary Society in 1906. He was also the chairman of directors of the Scottish Temperance League from 1895 till his death on 16 May 1910 at his home St Marnock’s, 38Newark Drive, Pollokshields. He was a frequent contributor to various church magazines and journals and was the author of a well-respected book entitled ‘Problems of Christianity’.
              Last edited by GallowayLass; 14-11-16, 17:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman Niels View Post

I have tried to find some information about Mrs. George Gladstone, but have found none, except that she also used the name Jemima Compton, and that she wrote several books,

Yours, Jan Oscar Bodøgaard
                Where did you get the information that she actually wrote under the name of Jemima Compton?
                Having looked at the bibliographical information for the book you mention, I think Jemima Compton is totally fictional. Mrs George Gladstone is the authoress of the book but for the purposes of getting across her views on how an old maid ought to have lived her life and faced the problems of bring a single lady, she meant people to think Jemima wrote it.

I have contacted the National Library of Scotland for you to see if they hold any biographical information on Mrs George Gladstone as they hold 10 volumes by her. It could take abut 10 days before they reply.

Comment

I found the book "The ups and downs of an old maid's life" on the net, see

The autor is Jemima Compton, it says in the book, pseudoneum(+) for Mrs. George Gladstone

Comment

Here is reply from National Library of Scotland. It doesn't help clear things up 100% as it says Jemima Compton was Mrs George Gladstone's maiden name yet we thought his wife was Marjory Shirref Morison.

"In the Dictionary of Anonymous and Pseudonymous English Literature By James Kennedy, Edinburgh: 1928 it states that Jemima Compton was the maiden name of Mrs George Gladstone. This is also confirmed in various library catalogues, including the British Library and ourselves. I have been unable to find any information that would suggest that Marjory Shirreff Morison was the same individual.
                    Mrs George Gladstone had works published by the Religious Tract Society, which is now Lutterworth Press. They may have some material in their archive that can provide further details on this author. They can be contacted at publishing@lutterworth.com. Bell & Daldy, who also published some of her material, were part of the publishing firm of George Bell & Sons Ltd. The archive for this publisher is held at the University of Reading. They can be contacted at specialcollections@reading.ac.uk. "

Comment

I haven't been able to find a Jemima Compton marrying a George Gladstone in either Scotland or England/Wales. There was only 1 in Scotland whose husband was a Mr Cook and three in England/Wales, again not correct husbands.

Have you looked at Marjory Gladstone's death certificate? This might show if it was her mother's maiden name that was Jemima Compton?

Comment

Marjory Gladstone's mother was Margaret Dick, according to Wikipedia's page on her father James

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_..._(evangelical)
                        Last edited by ozgirl; 18-11-16, 11:28. Reason: typo
                        Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                          Here is reply from National Library of Scotland. It doesn't help clear things up 100% as it says Jemima Compton was Mrs George Gladstone's maiden name yet we thought his wife was Marjory Shirref Morison.

"In the Dictionary of Anonymous and Pseudonymous English Literature By James Kennedy, Edinburgh: 1928 it states that Jemima Compton was the maiden name of Mrs George Gladstone. This is also confirmed in various library catalogues, including the British Library and ourselves. I have been unable to find any information that would suggest that Marjory Shirreff Morison was the same individual.
                          Mrs George Gladstone had works published by the Religious Tract Society, which is now Lutterworth Press. They may have some material in their archive that can provide further details on this author. They can be contacted at publishing@lutterworth.com. Bell & Daldy, who also published some of her material, were part of the publishing firm of George Bell & Sons Ltd. The archive for this publisher is held at the University of Reading. They can be contacted at specialcollections@reading.ac.uk. "
                          Thanks for information,
                          but I do have a question: Where in "the Dictionary of Anonymous..." does it say that Jemima Compton was Mrs. George Gladstone's maiden name? It says that Compton was a pseudonymous she used, but I can't find information that confirmes that Jemima Compton was Mrs. Gladstone's maiden name. The same can be said about other library catalogs. Only once the name Jemima Compton is used as writer of a book, "The ups and down of an old maid's life", and I think Mrs. Gladstone used this name only as a pseudonymous, and that it was not her maiden name. Then the name Jemima Compton got stuck to Mrs Gladstone, and the misunderstanding that it was her maiden name was born. So I will have the opinion that Marjory Shirreff Morison was her maiden, until I get documentation that says something else.

Fisherman Niels

Comment

My opinion is the same as yours - I think that Jemima Compton is a fictitious name. If you read the book "ups and downs" the character is a 70 year old spinster named Jemima Compton who dies at the end of the book, so it is definitely a work of fiction. When her 2nd book "Gold and Tinsel" is published in 1870, there is no name given for the author, just that it is the same author as "Ups and Downs". I think that possibly Marjory wrote these before she was married, then after marriage wrote books for the Religious Tract under her own name.
                            Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Working...
                            X