New GRO Index Query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New GRO Index Query

In the new GRO indexes I have found a birth with no mmn . It gives the reference as normal followed by "occasional Copy A" written after it. Does anyone know what this means please?
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Births with no mmn are ones where there is no father on the certificate. I already had a number of illegitimate baptisms and proved these correspond with index entries with no mmn.
    In the case of parents with the same surname the mmn IS in the index.

I don't know what the "occasional copy A" means. I did see one myself yesterday but can't remember whether it was an illegitimate birth or not. Maybe Antony can help us?

Anne

Comment

I think this listing of tasks required by registration staff may explain the reference to Occasional Copy. This is a modern list so RON mean sRegistration On Line but I guess it has always been necessary to submit corrected entries to the GRO.

Task & Statutory Requirement:

Quarterly copies certified and submittedto Registrar General within 28 days of the end of therelevant quarter.
      Occasional copies of corrected entries noton RON submitted within 7 days ofcorrection.
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Anne - Yes I have quite a few illegits down the line too
        The date is 1884, Judith. Does that mean it was altered in 1884?
        Perhaps as you say Anthony can enlighten us about "Occasional Copies"
        Kat

Comment

Another niggle - I have two deaths for previously unknown children I have now found births for (Not on censuses) and both given years of age under 10. These work out to be within the age range of their births if these nos had been months and not years. A mis-transcription or me being hopeful???
          Kat

Comment

I have a couple where I assume the age is in months, although the index says years.
            Have ordered one of them, so shall let you know for definite.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Thanks Tom, will be interesting to see.
              Kat

Comment

Yes, one of the problems discovered is that age at death is only being shown as years, so for example age 8 months at death shows as 8 years.

OC

Comment

Yes, was beginning to think that, OC - I've just found another one. Thanks for confirming there might be a fault in the system.
                  Kat

Comment

I've found a number where the child died under the age of 1, yet death is shown as eg 8

I assume that GRO does not have the ability to add "mnth" or "yr" to this new index, even though the age is shown in months on death certificates.

It's easy if an unusual name is involved, not so easy if the family re-uses names!
                    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Occasional copies are submitted by the Superintendent Registrar when a correction is made to a register entry in their custody, nothing to do with illegitimacy. You would need to get a copy of the entry to see what the correction was.

I believe GRO are aware of this issue with death ages of children - hopefully a fix will be made in due course.
                      Last edited by AntonyM; 11-11-16, 08:42.
                      Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                      Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Thanks Anthony.
                        Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                          In the new GRO indexes I have found a birth with no mmn . It gives the reference as normal followed by "occasional Copy A" written after it. Does anyone know what this means please?
                          What new Index is this you are talking about and where can I find it please?
                          Margaret

Comment

Go to the GRO website (http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/) then click on 'Order Certificates online' and then 'Order Certificates Online and search the GRO historic birth and death indexes.'

You will need to log in or register (the same details you use to order certificates), then there is an option 'Search the GRO indexes'.
                            Last edited by PeteW1959; 12-11-16, 09:10.
                            Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
                            Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
                            Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
                            Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
                            Devine in Ireland

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                              What new Index is this you are talking about and where can I find it please?
                              Margaret
                              Found it! on GRO website.
                              Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by PeteW1959 View Post
                                Go to the GRO website (http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/) then click on 'Order Certificates online' and then 'Order Certificates Online and search the GRO historic birth and death indexes.'

You will need to log in or register (the same details you use to order certificates), then there is an option 'Search the GRO indexes'.
                                Thanks PeteW1959 my post crossed with yours.

Margaret

Comment

Working...
                                X