Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death Cert Manslaughter

I have known about this for some time but only just got the death cert
    Its for a child who died of starvation, it says on the cert Starvation Manslaughter, I have got the newspaper article, what I wondered was if the verdict was manslaughter would either one or both parents have surely served time in prison? as I cannot find anything to suggest that.

Val

You would think so, wouldn't, you, but maybe there were extenuating circumstances, for instance, either or both parent being of very low intelligence or insane.

OC

Comment

according to the newspaper article they both worked ? and the mother spent her money on drink, its really sad reading, she would leave him all day while she worked, and they would eat while he starved, seems she hated him ,there is also suspicion about another baby that died.
      Last edited by Guest; 04-11-16, 15:16.

Comment

So sad.

Have just been reading a book about murder and there are a couple in there who killed their baby by neglect. Juries were very reluctant to bring a guilty verdict against the mother because she would be hung.

I am sure your ones would be punished. Does it not say anything about sentencing?

OC

Comment

What sort of time period are you looking at Val?

I've recently found a husband and wife in 1899 who were convicted of neglecting their 4 children. The children didn't die but it was said that they were in a filthy and ragged condition and that although the husband worked they both spent most of their money on drink. Interestingly the prosecution was brought by the NSPCC. They both got 2 months hard labour
          Jackie

Comment

it was 1871 says in the article they were committed to trial at Newgate

Comment

Maybe this site will point you in the direction for an answer...........

The official archive of the UK government. Our vision is to lead and transform information management, guarantee the survival of today's information for tomorrow and bring history to life for everyone.

Comment

Have you checked the Old Bailey Online records ?

A searchable online edition of the Proceedings of the Old Bailey, 1674-1913.
                Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Thanks Gwyn and Antony shall look at those

Comment

Working...
                  X