GRO new search facility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GRO new search facility

You can now search with the mother's name before 1911.

I just found my GGGrandmother. I have sent off for certs in the past and they have been incorrect. So many Mary Ann Carroll's in the area. Didn't help that on all the census's and her marriage cert her birth is 6 years out!!

Also you can go straight to the order page without filling out all the form.

Will be on there all day now.

Happy Hunting

Linda

wow thanks Linda

Comment

Great! I'm heading there now! Thank you.

Comment

good to know Thank you.
        F

Comment

It's so good that I think I've found a few more of the Thomas branch :D
          Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

I've just spent most of the day on there ............ and have a few more questions as a result!
            My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

There is one little hitch that I've noticed ......

...... baby's age can be wrong on a death certificate if under one. The death certificate gives the age in months, but the digitised version seems to only be able to show years ........ so an 8 month old seems to have died at age 8
              My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

I've now been able to identify which of the two William Collins who died in the same quarter and district is mine (the other was a child).

Comment

Morning. I have found children who sadly were born and died between the census's so can add them to my tree, also someone else mentioned that as from 8th November they are launching a PDF service where you can download your certs for £4???

Hope that's true, although nothing quite like waiting for the postie to arrive with the real thing

Linda

Comment

Linda, thanks very much for this info ... hoping to find some of my grandfather's 'missing' siblings
                    Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

Comment

Originally posted by Loopy Linda in La La Land View Post
                      Morning. I have found children who sadly were born and died between the census's so can add them to my tree, also someone else mentioned that as from 8th November they are launching a PDF service where you can download your certs for £4???

Hope that's true, although nothing quite like waiting for the postie to arrive with the real thing

Linda
                      There's more info her on the Lost Cousins newsletter, it's £6 from 9 Nov in PDF format but they are only doing 45,000 for 3 weeks at this price so get your shopping list ready!
                      Last edited by Jill on the A272; 05-11-16, 08:41.

Comment

I have been involved in meetings with GRO about this and have been testing the new system for the past few weeks - it isn't perfect but is a great move forward in solving quite a few puzzles without buying wasted certificates.

The search engine is quite restrictive, and GRO have had feedback on that. I know they were concerned about the system being overwhelmed with searches which is one reason why there was no advance announcement of the launch. Hopefully once things settle down they may open up the search options a little.

There are a number of options for uncertified copies being provided in .pdf format that will be trialled in the next few weeks. £6 is for copies of already digitised entries, which means births 1837-1934, and deaths 1837-1957 and very recent ones. The trials are mainly looking at system capacity and demand rather than cost.
                        Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                        Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

I tried to login with my normal user name and password but it won't have me. Also says I will be sent an email with a code but still haven't received it.

Comment

Slightly disappointed that non certified copies will cost 6 pounds, I had hoped they were going to be cheaper than that.

(How ungrateful am I!)

OC

Comment

Not at all OC, I was hoping for £1 :-)

Comment

I am so thrilled....after years of applying for a birth cert and being told that after a search my check details didn't match the certificates I have discovered that one did!! I now have the actual references and middle name for my maternal Great Grandmother's birth....Yayyyyy
                                Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Nice to get good news Chrissie! I have found some little babies I didn't know existed - so sad.
                                  Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

I think I've found a twin for one of mine.

If it's Volume 09D Page 545 & Page 544 does that hint at a twin?
                                    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                                      I tried to login with my normal user name and password but it won't have me. Also says I will be sent an email with a code but still haven't received it.

That happened to me ............. but my email came through immediately

Have you changed your email address since you first registered with them?

The validation code will have been sent to the address they have on record.
                                      Last edited by Sylvia C; 05-11-16, 22:44.

Comment

Ooh, thank you for this, Linda.

I know what I will be doing tomorrow!

bcbrit
                                        George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Working...
                                        X