Confused..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused..

I have an Ernest George Lucas Childs b. 1888/1889, Stanford Rivers, Essex.

The 1891 census says he's living with his Childs grandparent's (Esau & Susan) and their son William Childs (his Dad?). It says William is single. No sign of Mum.

So, I got his birth certificate through today. No father and his Mum is Betsy Louise Childs (Domestic servant).

I traced Esau back and on the 1871 they have a daughter called Betsy Louise(a) b. 1864.
    In 1881 Betsy is with her parent's.
    In 1891 Betsy is a visitor at the Hartgrave's/ Hartgrove's - she marries David Hargrove in 1891.
    In 1901 Betsy and David have 4 children - Ernest is still with his grandparent's. Cannot find William.

Can you put some wisdom/thoughts on this please - I guess they could have been cousins out of wedlock or she gave his surname like they were married but why would William's name not be on there? Has the person transcribing guessed William was his Dad and that this is a red herring?
    Can't find a baptism for him to see if there is any other information.

I look forward to hearing what you think

TIA

Tessies

Yes, the person doing the transcription has guessed and it's as simple as that. The original image states his relationship to Esau & Susan, but not to William.
    Rick

Comment

It doesn't say that William is his Father, it only says that Esau is his Grandfather.
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Chrissie -

Name: Ernest Childs
        Estimated birth year: abt 1889
        Relation: Grandson
        Father's name: Wm Childs

Comment

Thanks Rick, it's a shame I have a side I can't trace :/

Comment

Originally posted by tessie31082 View Post
            Chrissie -

Name: Ernest Childs
            Estimated birth year: abt 1889
            Relation: Grandson
            Father's name: Wm Childs
            I ignored that bit on the front Tessie, it's just a mis-transcription. It's the actual page you need to go by.
            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by tessie31082 View Post
              Thanks Rick, it's a shame I have a side I can't trace :/
              It's always challenging with illegitimate children, but you sometimes get clues. Have you tried SEAX to look for a baptism? You could view the Stanford Rivers baptism register- I don't think there are any transcriptions online for that sort of time period. It may be worth looking for any Poor Law records too, in case there are maintenance orders against the putative father. And that name Lucas needs investigating - where did that come from?
              Rick

Comment

Thanks for the pointers Rick, I'll try and find some info. if I can!

Comment

Rick, unable to find any info. so I'm just going to have to stick with no father at the mo!

Thanks

Comment

On the 1911 Census Ernest George Lucas Childs is nephew to Charles Victor Edwards, a traindriver, and Sarah Ann Edwards, his wife, and they are living at Leytonstone. Ernest is a Clerk on the Great Eastern Railway and is 22.

Elizabeth
                    Research Interests:
                    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Charles Victor Edwards married Sarah Ann Childs in the Ongar Reg. District in Q1 1891.

Do you think that Ernest's names have any significance?

I am looking at the "George Lucas" component. I have an ancestor from Scotland whose second name indicates the surname of the (unnamed) father.
                      Elizabeth
                      Research Interests:
                      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Yes I thought that Elizabeth but I can't see anything obvious

Comment

Working...
                        X