Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone got time for a newspaper look up

Ellen Pyke Woodcock born 15 Jul 1875 died 19 Jul 1923 in Kensington

She is supposed to have died on a Sunday School outing, and when she died left her money to the Church.

I would have thought her death may have been in a newspaper but I cannot find anything.

Any ideas thanks

I can't see anything on FMP newspapers.

Comment

I've tried the probate calendars on FMP for 1923 - 1926 incl. and not found an entry for her will either. I also did a search in the indexes of probate calendar on ancestry with no date limit and still no result. I tried her full name as well as Ellen P.
      Last edited by GallowayLass; 26-10-16, 20:03.

Comment

thanks for trying Galloway I am surprised as if the Church had her money would have thought she left a will? thanks again

Comment

She could only leave money to the Church if she made a will. If she was intestate the money would go to designated relatives or the Treasury (per Heir Hunters). So your first step is her death certificate to discover the place and cause of death. This might show the supposition is a myth.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks Uncle John that's interesting, I had thought as I could not find a will maybe she had just left a note and cash .
            As not one of the 10 contacts have the Death Cert I am going to send for it today be interested to see what it says.
            Will update this when I do.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
              She could only leave money to the Church if she made a will. If she was intestate the money would go to designated relatives or the Treasury (per Heir Hunters). So your first step is her death certificate to discover the place and cause of death. This might show the supposition is a myth.
              If it went to relatives, then they might have made a donation in her memory?
              Caroline
              Caroline's Family History Pages
              Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Let us know what the death cert says, Val! I sent for one because the family story was that she had been run over by a bus. Not true, she had fallen down the stairs at home. Certainly a sudden death but not as rumoured!

Anne

Comment

Caroline thats a point, funny how rumours spread isn't it Anne I found a contact and when I told him this man had died of TB they said they were told he had been run over by a horse and cart ?? suppose it sounds better

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                    Caroline thats a point, funny how rumours spread isn't it Anne I found a contact and when I told him this man had died of TB they said they were told he had been run over by a horse and cart ?? suppose it sounds better
                    Perhaps he was coughing so much because of TB that he fell in front of a horse and cart?
                    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

It only says TB on the death cert Chrissie , he was my great grandfather , this contact did not seem too keen on knowing about the poor side of the family, in fact after I divulged a few truths I never heard from him again.
                      Last edited by Guest; 28-10-16, 20:42.

Comment

I'm sorry Val, I thought you would realise that it was a joke about how these things get muddled. I forgot the :D
                        Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 29-10-16, 08:02.
                        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

aha I should have guessed have ordered it cannot wait to see what it says.

Comment

Cert arrived and she died on the way to St Mary Abbotts Hopital Kensington of a heart attack and chronic bronchitis, inquest 23 Jul 1923

Comment

Working...
                            X