Lds 1881 census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lds 1881 census

Hi Everyone, anybody having trouble finding people in the LDS 1881 Census on ScotlandsPeople?
    I have searched for family whom I know were in Glasgow area at that time, used variables on names and typed in surname only (common name in Scotland) not one single hit , how can a common name not register at all?
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Toby

I do remember reading that Guy said that the LDS did not film the 1881 for Scotland as they were not given permission to do so. so presume that is why you cannot find them on the LDS 1881.

maybe throw some names out for us to have a look as well.
    Last edited by Darksecretz; 26-10-16, 08:43.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

There are no images in the LDS version, that is correct but there is a transcription so you should find your people. Check out the what we are doing pages on SP as customer complaints have resulted in them fixing and/or improving features of the site. There are tips and dos and donts for searching the various databases in the meantime till the issues are fixed. Maybe there's a known bug in the census search fields?

Comment

Hello Darksecretz, in the last Lost Cousins Newsletter, Peter Calver stated that the LDS 1881 census for Scotland was available and free on ScotlandsPeople and gave instructions on how to access it, the setup is exactly as he stated, have a look for yourself at their site if you are a member. I think that I will have to contact Peter and ask him about it.
        Thanks.
        Toby.

Comment

Thanks GallowayLass, perhaps I should wait and see what happens, you may be correct about a bug.
          Toby

Comment

Toby I can and have accessed that site. If you give me a name to look for i'll happily have a look.
            Julie

Comment

Hello Darksecretz, I tried again this morning, no go so here are a few details of the family, perhaps you will have more luck!
              Robert Gray, born Coatbridge, age in 1881 approx 16 yrs, other members in the family, William 13,Thomas 10,Henry 7, Elizabeth 2.
              Thanks again for your help.
              Toby.

Comment

I think that you are using too many search criteria. for example if you just put in Gray and Glasgow you get 647 hits. similarly if you just put in Gray you also get lots of hits, it'll be just a case of looking through and seeing if you can spot them.
                Julie

Comment

I found a family that looked quite promising on Ancestry, apart from the fact there was also another son Henry aged 6. They are living in Dalziel, so I searched on SP 1881 LDS just putting in Gray and living Dalziel but he doesn't show up. There are some addresses in Dalziel that do but Baird's Land where they are living doesn't. So I seem to be having the same problem as Toby.
                  p.s. The ones on Ancestry have parents Robert and Mary and both Roberts' (father and son) are Coal Miners.
                  Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 27-10-16, 09:47.
                  Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I can't get them to come up in LDS version either Toby. The full 1881 version does show a 1 year old Elizabeth in Dalziel and a 6 year old Henry. I tried them separately. You'll need to let SP know you are having problems.

Comment

Sorry, I meant there was one you hadn't mentioned but it was a Mary aged 4, you had of course already mentioned Henry. They are Robert 43 - Mary 39 - Robert 15 - William 13 - Thomas 9 - Henry 6 - Mary 4 - Elizabeth 1.

Comment

Hi Chrissie, this will be them, they were in the Dalziel area in 1891 and they were all over the place in the Glasgow area. Robert and Mary are the parents and Henry one of the sons, correct age in 1881. I dont have Ancestry so could you give me the family of Robert and Mary, this would be great! Thanks!
                        Toby.

Comment

Hi Chrissie, I missed your note giving the family so thanks for the details.
                          Cheers.
                          Toby.

Comment

You are very welcome Toby You can't actually see the image of course, it's just a transcription.

Comment

Thanks GallowayLass, as you can see I have the details from Chrissie but as you say I need to follow up because I have more names to search.
                              Cheers.
                              Toby.

Comment

I never thought I'd say this LOL but thank heavens for an***try. This is your family in Baird's Land as expected. Robert, Thomas, Henry and Elizabeth do not come up either singly or together in any combo on SPs LDS version or on FMP either.
                                As another thread on here says, t'int right, t'int fair, t'int proper. So worry not Toby, t'int thee, t'is they :-)

Name: Robert Gray
                                Estimated birth year: abt 1866
                                Relationship: Son
                                Father's name: Robert Gray
                                Mother's name: Mary Gray
                                Where born: Old Monkland, Lanarkshire
                                Registration Number: 639
                                Registration district: Dalziel
                                Civil Parish: Dalziel
                                County: Lanarkshire
                                Address: Baird'S Land
                                ED: 10
                                Household schedule number: 81
                                LINE: 20
                                Roll: cssct1881_212
                                Household Members:
                                Name Age
                                Robert Gray 43
                                Mary Gray 39
                                Robert Gray 15
                                William Gray 13
                                Thomas Gray 9
                                Henry Gray 6
                                Mary Gray 4
                                Elizabeth Gray 1
                                Source Citation
                                Parish: Dalziel; ED: 10; Page: 17; Line: 20; Roll: cssct1881_212
                                Last edited by GallowayLass; 27-10-16, 11:13.

Comment

Father born New Monkland, mother Ireland, first two children Old Monkland and the rest Dalziel apart from Mary who was born in England.

Old Monkland is correct reg. dist. for Coatbridge.
                                  Last edited by GallowayLass; 27-10-16, 11:12.

Comment

You are absolutely correct, I was putting in too much info. it wont work if you put in an age range. I kept to the basics, though it will accept a first name, anyway I browsed around and found a few more of the family so I am chuffed!
                                    Bye.
                                    Toby.

Comment

Ha! I like that quotation, will write it down. Thks for the info, I am going to put that on Lost Cousins, see if I get a hit there.
                                      Toby.

Comment

Mary born in England, wow! that throws up a new avenue of thought, she is not with the family in 1891. Some good searching coming up!
                                        Cheers.
                                        Toby.

Comment

Working...
                                        X