Tricky word in an old will

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tricky word in an old will

I'm a little stuck on one of the words in this will of 1677, it's the one circled in red if someone wouldn't mind helping:

Thanks for looking

Oh it's got me stumped Jill -sorry. It looks a bit like Thaygtemme but can't be!
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Jill, I can't read it very well as it's so small, but I think it is something like "thappurtenances" but contracted. Quite often they ran "the" and a word starting with a together. "tha...".

Hope it fits!
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Is it "with thappurtenances conteyning by estimation ten acres lying and being..."

I have had plenty of wills like that.
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Ahh...thankyou Elizabeth - I can see it now, there are a number of contractions through the will but I hadn't come across that one before.

Comment

"Appurtenances" doesn't really fit in a property context. The last part of the word looks a bit like "tenure".
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
              "Appurtenances" doesn't really fit in a property context. The last part of the word looks a bit like "tenure".
              You find "appurtenances" mentioned very frequently in old wills to describe the things that belong to a property or business. Thapptennce is a very common abbreviation
              and the line above the word signifies omission of one or more letter.
              Rick

Comment

Thanks all - I'm on the 2nd page now where the word appears again, but this time is written as "thappurtenaunces".

Comment

Jill, when you have finished transcribing it you could post it on this free website:

Transcribed Wills,Will Transcriptions, Family Wills, Historic Wills, Upload / Search Wills, Genealogy, Family Tree, Genealogical Research,Will Executors

It's only been up and running since the end of last year.
                  Elizabeth
                  Research Interests:

Comment

Gladly Elizabeth - it will be going to the Sussex Family History Group and Sussex OPC too!

Have now registered with the wills site.
                    Last edited by Jill on the A272; 28-10-16, 10:30. Reason: Registered

Comment

I know a handwriting expert, with your permission, I will ask their opinion
                      Last edited by Vacumatic; 28-10-16, 11:08.

Comment

Originally posted by Vacumatic View Post
                        I know a handwriting expert, with your permission, I will ask their opinion
                        Like so many experts, as much use as a chocolate teapot.

Comment

Vacumatic, I'm pretty certain we have the correct word.
                          Elizabeth
                          Research Interests:

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
                            Vacumatic, I'm pretty certain we have the correct word.
                            I don't think vacumatic was referring to you, but their own "expert" who clearly didn't come up with the goods.
                            Caroline
                            Caroline's Family History Pages
                            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I suspect that the pertinent words are "having tenure" - it goes on to describe size of land .......!
                              Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                                I don't think vacumatic was referring to you, but their own "expert" who clearly didn't come up with the goods.
                                Thats right, my so called expert came up with place names and all sorts of rubbish.

Comment

Working...
                                X