Drastic Change of occupation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drastic Change of occupation

you know we often say people dont generally change from one occupation to a completely different one ? well I have been reading The Cockney Ancestor, and one of the articles says a family of Silk Weavers, in London switched to Piano Making as there were so many Jewish Tailors.
    Last edited by Guest; 24-10-16, 18:12.

I don't understand. A silk weaver is nothing like a tailor.

OC

Comment

Surely the reason was the killing off of silk weaving. I can't see the relevance of Jewish tailors.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

piano maker.jpg

this is part of the article

Comment

They are two different families.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

This article was written by Peter Holford about his family, including silk weavers who because of the influx of Jewish Tailors started to make piano's instead.

Comment

No, I think you have misunderstood, Val.

Harry emigrated to NZ. He was presumably a Jewish tailor and he emigrated because there were too many tailors in the UK.

The silk weaver family stayed in the UK and became piano makers when the silk weaving industry failed. This isn,t actually as strange as it sounds because I expect what they did was fit piano mechanisms into piano cabinets which they either made themselves or bought in. In our very own famous FTF Jewish family, lol, there were lots of cabinet makers. Piano making wasn't a great skill and they may have worked for an employer anyway.

OC

Comment

You may be right Harry married Emily Holford so assumed she was from the Holford Tailors family.
                I am always dubious when the occupation changes wont be so now.

Comment

My family of silk weavers seemed to change occupation en mass in between census to carpenters lol ???
                  Lorraine

Comment

maybe for the same reason Lorraine?

Comment

Working...
                    X