Mother-in-law. Alternative meanings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mother-in-law. Alternative meanings?

I have found a newspaper report, from Southampton, 26 Jan 1856 regarding George Deadman. Within the report it states that he went to the home of his mother-in-law, who is later named as Mrs Charlotte Leach.

I am reasonably sure this was the Charlotte who was my ggg-Grandmother - mainly because she was the only Charlotte Leach in Southampton at that time and she lived in the area where George said he was that night. However, none of Charlotte's daughters married a George Deadman, and tracing him on censuses, he was born in 1834 in Surrey and was a bootmaker/closer who (up to 1881) never married. Why then would he call Charlotte his mother in law, when his own mother was still alive, and living a few streets away?

My only thought is that maybe he was engaged to one of Charlotte's daughters, but once he was convicted the engagement was called off? Anyone have any other ideas?
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Could just be a straightforward reporting error. My great grandfather,s newspaper obituary names his sisters who lived with him. They weren't his sisters, they were his sisters in law.

OC

Comment

I'd say it's just a mistake. I have a death cert of one of my great grandparents, the informant was named as a son in law, but in fact he wasn't.. was some other relation!
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks OC and Julie - it did have me scratching my head trying to work it out !
        Linda

Comment

Reading the newspaper report, it seems to me that the victim/prosecutor, James Lacey is the one whose mother-in-law is Charlotte Leach. There's a marriage of James Lacey in 1849 in Alversstoke and one of the female names on the record is Harriett Leach. James & Harriott Lacey are living in Alverstoke in 1851. She was born in Southampton.
          Rick

Comment

Oh Rick that is interesting as Harriett appears to have slipped through the cracks! She is not on the baptism records for Hampshire, that I have found yet, but there is a Harriet Leach in 1841 living with a Sarah Leach as FS - Sarah would have been Harriets grandmother. Also there is a convenient gap in the births of Charlottes children - one in 1826 then the next in 1830. Thank you for pointing this out - need to get the marriage cert to confirm but definitely looking good. Another twig!
            Linda

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
              Oh Rick that is interesting as Harriett appears to have slipped through the cracks! She is not on the baptism records for Hampshire, that I have found yet, but there is a Harriet Leach in 1841 living with a Sarah Leach as FS - Sarah would have been Harriets grandmother. Also there is a convenient gap in the births of Charlottes children - one in 1826 then the next in 1830. Thank you for pointing this out - need to get the marriage cert to confirm but definitely looking good. Another twig!
              You're welcome!
              Rick

Comment

Working...
              X