Genealogy CDs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genealogy CDs

Hello I'm new on here and I'm a not very computer minded pensioner. My problem is that I have quite a number of Genealogy CDs including the complete 1881 Census, which I could use on my old PC (Windows 7). This PC sadly died and I had to buy a new one, I bought a laptop with Windows 10 installed. Non of my CDs will run on this as apparently they are not compatible with later Windows versions.
    1) Is there anything I can do, or are these CDs now useless?
    2) Would it be possible to buy a laptop and have Windows 7 installed and if so hopefully they would work?

Many thanks

Sid Hawes

Welcome to the forum.
    I can't answer your question as to how you might get the CDs to run on a Windows 10 computer, but if you need access to the 1881 census you will find this is FREE on www.ancestry.co.uk
    You will need to sign up for a FREE registration, but you can then search the transcriptions of the census.

Elaine

Comment

It's also available on FamilySearch, along with a number of other datasets relating to UK genealogy.
      Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
      Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine I have already done that. It's all my other CDs I'm concerned for.

Sid

Comment

You might be able to pick up a 2nd hand laptop, have everything except the operating system wiped and use it just for the CDs.
          Anne

Comment

Thanks Anne, I'll try that
            Regards

Sid

Comment

good idea Anne good luck Sid

Comment

The limiting factor is not the operating systm but whether the new laptop is 32 or 64 bit.
                If it is 32 bit most of the CDs including the LDS CDs (1881 census, British Vital Records etc.) will run but you may have to first ensure you have Folio Viewer 4 updated to 4.02 installed.
                Then you need to start the Folio Views (The LDS viewer software) software in compatibility mode and select one of the older operating systems dispayed such as Vista.
                The software will then run as normal.
                This will often work with 64 bit computers but it does not always work with 64 bit computers some times you will get an error message.

Cheers
                Guy

PS It should also be noted that the online familysearch 1881 census is not complete as it does not contain the Scottish regions (The LDS was denied permission to provide those online).
                Last edited by Guy; 23-10-16, 07:55.
                Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

what you could do is install a 'virtual machine' that runs win7 onto your win10 machine.
                  Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                    what you could do is install a 'virtual machine' that runs win7 onto your win10 machine.
                    Not if it a 64 bit computer, the LDS software will not run on it in Windows 7
                    Cheers
                    Guy

Comment

Thanks Guy that's very informative.

Sid

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
                        Not if it a 64 bit computer, the LDS software will not run on it in Windows 7
                        Cheers
                        Guy
                        A 32bit Virtual Machine would resolve this, ie: install Windows 7 32bit. It doesn't matter if the physical hardware is 64bit
                        https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Grimsqueaker View Post
                          A 32bit Virtual Machine would resolve this, ie: install Windows 7 32bit. It doesn't matter if the physical hardware is 64bit
                          Yes, apologies to Darksecretz I have checked my own records and have found that Folio Views 4.02 will also run in Windows 7 in much the same way as it runs in Windows 10
                          For full details see

My only excuse is I am recovering from pneumonia and not thinking clearly at present
                          Cheers
                          Guy

Comment

That's ok Guy, hopefully the recovery will be speedy...
                            https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

Sorry to hear you have been ill Guy. Get well soon.

Comment

Thanks, it is just my body (and mind) telling me I am not 20 any more, but very annoying not thinking clearly.
                                Roll on summer
                                Cheers
                                Guy

Comment

Thank you Guy, I do hope that you recover quickly. [and we all get brain fog when we are ill]
                                  Julie
                                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                                  X