Advice please, Issue with 1900 US Population Census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice please, Issue with 1900 US Population Census

Hi, how should I handle a census that has two sets of numbers in each respective box for the columns Number of dwelling and Number of family? Each has a number in ink, then above that is a penciled in number. Which do I use? Thank you in advance.

could you post a link to an image: familysearch will have it as well as Ancestry

welcome to ftf!
    sarah

Comment

Hi Sarah, thank you for replying. Here's the link you requested. https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MM1M-K1K

Comment

Hi -
        Looks to me that after line 15, beginning with the Williams family, the enumerator had to correct his numbering. It continues on the next page - and there's a strike thru those original numbers.

I have peeps who lived in NW corner of Indiana!

Comment

So the numbers in pencil are the ones I go by then? What town or city did they live in, if I may ask. My family is basically from Attica/Lafayette area. Though we do have some stragglers here & there, such as myself. I'm in south Mississippi & cousins in Arizona & California. I'm sure a few others are out & around. LOLOL

Comment

FamilySearch transcribed it as:
            "Logan Township Attica city Ward 1-2, Fountain, Indiana, United States" - it's in the banner at the top of the page.

IMO - yes, the penciled numbers are the correct ones - not sure it makes a huge difference, unless you want the address?

OK, looking at it more closely - there are no street house numbers written on the page (needed for a complete address), just the house number in the order the enumerator's work, and the family number in the enumerator's work. The enumerator was either mistaken and didn't record the street house number, or there weren't any. Perhaps that would have been true in farm country, but this is described as city, which would also match with occupations on the page.

Note that the street names are written vertically on the left side, including "No Name" ;)

My peeps were in St Jo's and LaPorte Co - farmers.
            Last edited by PhotoFamily; 19-10-16, 03:08.

Comment

Oh - and if you look at the Bernhart family on line 10 - their numbers are not corrected, and jive with the corrected numbers.

Comment

Thank you very much. I greatly appreciate your help. My family is basically from the Fountain & Tippecanoe County areas.

Comment

Working...
                X