James M vs Newton J Brookshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James M vs Newton J Brookshire

I copied this from Glenna Becks book on the Brookshire Family.

Sons of William and Sarah Hays Brookshire; Can anyone explain brothers(?), James M 1841 and Newton J 1840. Both married a Rebecca. They both had a first daughter named Nancy born in the same year. Are they 1 and the same or is this just a coincidence? Most records have Newton J as James Newton. If this is so, isn't it strange to have 2 brothers named James?

1850 census shows a James M and no Newton: 1860 census shows just Newton: 1870 census shows James M: 1880 census shows just Newton: 1900 census shows John Newton: Can't find an 1890 census. 1870 and later married to Rebecca

Only headstone shows J N Brookshire married to Rebecca.

6. James M, Brookshire, born 1841, Mo., married Rebecca, born in I848.
    1. Nancy J. Brookshire, born 1869, Mo.
    7. Newton J. Brookshire, born June 16, 1840, Browning, Mo., died Aug 8, 1905, Lamar, Colo, married June 28, 1868, Rebecca Wooten.
    Their children:
    1. Nancy Brookshire, born 1869, Mo.

are these births etc all in the US, or are you looking for records from the UK?
    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

I see you have asked this question on several sites, eg ......

James Newton Brookshire Sr 1840-1905 The 1840 census has him as John Brookshier, 1900 census for ... be a nickname? Wife and children match up

what have the responses on those sites told you?
      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

All in Missouri, USA

Comment

The query you are asking about is a different one but actually is another question on this same Newton J. I didn't mention it in the original question because I didn't want to confuse the question about James M and Newton J.
          The question at wikitree was; Was his name James or John Newton?
          The 1840 census has him as John Brookshier, 1900 census for his grandson has him as John
          Civil war records as James n Brookshire. Marriage Cert as Newton
          Headstone has him as J N Brookshire
          Since there is a junior could John be a nickname?
          Wife and children match up
          I later found the names in Glenna Becks book of James M and Newton J, which confused me even more.

Comment

Sorry, there was an answer but it didn't really address the question.

Comment

Working...
            X