Another day another family ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another day another family ...

I have David (b. 1801, Yorkshire) and Hannah Midlam (1811, Yorkshire) with 2 children on the 1841 census but then I can't find them on the next ones. David went to prison for 1 month in 1843 so i wondered whether this led to Hannah remarrying but can't find anything down that route! Their daughter Mary I can follow and Aaron their son is showing on the 1871 census so I'm sure they are just mistranscribed! I ahve tried a few combinations but unable to find them!

Hannah (Ann) may have died 1850, Rotherham as there is a record for an Ann?!

Comment

Yorkshire's a big county - where are they in 1841? Are they the family in Rotherham recorded as MEdlam?

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

In 1851 David was in Twiggs Yard, Kimberworth, Rotherham - 48 yrs, married, farm lab; with house keeper Hannah Hayne, 49 yrs, married.

ETA - could Hannah Hayne be Hannah Ann?????
        Jay
        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 11-10-16, 21:28.
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Seems unlikely, as there was a 10-year age difference between them in 1841.

Comment

Possible deaths for Hannah and David:

Deaths Mar 1852
            MEDLAM Hannah Rotherham 9c 260

Deaths Dec 1860
            Medlam David Rotherham 9c 272
            Medlam David Rotherham 9c 292

Comment

David and Hannah both appear in the newspapers a couple of times, in 1840 and 1845:

Create an account for free with Findmypast to discover your family history and build a family tree. Search birth records, census data, death records and more.

Create an account for free with Findmypast to discover your family history and build a family tree. Search birth records, census data, death records and more.

Comment

tessie ........

is your only estimate of their age from the 1841 Census, or do you know that ca 1811 and 1801 are correct??

Only ages were rounded down to the nearest 5 on the 1841 Census ......... the only census on which this happened.
                My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

According to the NBI (available on FMP), David born 1800 was buried 30-12-1860, Moorgate Cemetery, Rotherham

David's baptism Rotherham on 16 Aug 1801, father Thomas, mother Cathrine
                  Last edited by Sylvia C; 12-10-16, 03:03. Reason: adding information
                  My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

By the way, you may not find Aaron in the 1851/1861 censuses because he was a soldier (fought in China and the Crimea) according to the military records on Ancestry and FMP.

Comment

Son Aaron's death which ties up with the 1871 census in Sheffield.
                      Can't see him on 51/61 censuses.

Name: Aaron Medlam
                      Estimated birth year: abt 1840 - a bit out but perhaps informant did not know his birth date
                      Registration Year: 1873
                      Registration Quarter: Apr-May-Jun
                      Age at Death: 33
                      Registration district: Sheffield
                      Volume: 9c
                      Page: 219

Marriage for David and Hannah.

Name David Midlam
                      Spouse's Name Hannah Lee
                      Event Date 01 Nov 1830
                      Event Place Rotherham, York, England

Post 6 - Death Hannah Medlam is for the daughter.

First name(s) HANNAH
                      Last name MEDLAM
                      Birth year 1842
                      Death year 1852
                      Age 10
                      Burial year 1852
                      Burial day 7
                      Burial month 3
                      Place KIMBERWORTH
                      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Possibly not dau of David but of his brother(?) Thomas?

Hannah Medlam
                        Daughter
                        England and Wales Census, 1851
                        birth: 1841 Hilltop, Yorkshire
                        residence: 1851 Kimberworth, Yorkshire, Yorkshire (West Riding), England
                        father: Thomas Medlam
                        mother: Christiana Medlam
                        other: George Medlamd, Catherine Medlamd, Mary Medlamd, Benjamin Copley

Hannah Medlam
                        England and Wales Death Registration Index 1837-2007
                        death: 1852 Rotherham, Yorkshire, England
                        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Thanks everyone, so Hannah didn't die in 1852 (it was her daughter), she's the only remaining one left to 'kill' off.

Tessie

Comment

Hannah Hayne/Ann is born in the same place as my hannah (David's wife) so this must also be her. The dob are from the 1841 census - i didn't know about the the rounding down thing!

Comment

Mary, unfortunately I am not currently a FMP member but when I'm done with Ancestery (at least for the initial direct lines - grandparents as far back as i can go) then I will join and search on there

Comment

Mary, can you point me in the direction of his military records on Ancestry as I can't see anything for some reason?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X