1939 Register

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1939 Register

dont laugh but I have only just noticed some have death dates furthur along the line, has that always been the case and why not others?

Can you give an example?
    People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
    Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

I've never seen a death date so I'm not laughing .... just waiting with baited breath for some to appear! LOL
      Anne

Comment

Grandmother.JPG

This is my Grandmother so I know the death date is right

Comment

Val .............

The register served as the base for the NHS when that began in 1947, and it was constantly updated until around 1991. New names were entered, and dates entered.

I've seen both death dates and marriage dates .....

......... and that helped me identify when my great aunt remarried! It took place in 1951, around the time we moved from the house next door to her to across town. I certainly wasn't invited to the wedding, and I don't think my parents were either :D

She always was a miserable so-and-so ............ constantly arguing with her sister, my grandmother, who lived across the street until she died in 1954. And I was always being told to "Be quiet" so I wouldn't disturb "Auntie Florrie".

I honestly don't think I saw her again after we moved, even though we went back regularly to see the grandparents.
          My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Thanks Sylvia, I seem to have quite a few closed records of people I know died, sounds like a lovely person your Auntie Florrie;D

Comment

I've seen plenty of marriage dates but no deaths.
              Anne

Comment

I've not scrolled across before so wonder how many I have missed.

Comment

I think death dates are much less common than marriages.

I'm wondering now if I have seen any marriage dates for men???

Or did they only do it for women as the surname was then changed?

Val ............ you should scroll across. Interesting things can be put in that last column.

I discovered my Dad was an ARP Warden due to the entry in that, and that was something that he had never told me.
                  My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

My screen s big enough that all the page plus the bit of the RH page shows. I've often seen things like ARP warden and several other similar war related comments but never seen a death date. Possibly it was only kept up to date for a relatively short period. I see Val's example is 1955.
                    Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                      My screen s big enough that all the page plus the bit of the RH page shows. I've often seen things like ARP warden and several other similar war related comments but never seen a death date. Possibly it was only kept up to date for a relatively short period. I see Val's example is 1955.
                      Anne
                      I thought it said 1985 Anne?
                      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I would make my page wider but then the text is too small ,it is 1985 Chrissie, gonna see if I have any others later.

Comment

I have a wide page Val but I alter the size of my font accordingly. I have it set for instance on 116% zoom.

Comment

how do you get a wide page ?

Comment

Yes, you're right it is 1985. I'm just using an iPad mini so not very big!
                              Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                                how do you get a wide page ?
                                Just hover your mouse pointer over the edge and when the double arrow comes up you widen it.

Comment

mine must be the widest it can be as nothing is happening :( thanks Chrissie

Comment

Val, to much a page bigger I just hold down the control key and use the mouse wheel, to make it normal again do the same but turn the mouse wheel down.

Tora

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                                      mine must be the widest it can be as nothing is happening :( thanks Chrissie
                                      It depends what type of pointer device you use. Is it a stand alone mouse, if so what controls are on it? Or is it a built in mouse on a laptop?
                                      People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
                                      Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Thanks Tora but when I do that I lose the arrows either side to scroll up and down with
                                        webwiz its a mouse I plug in as the wireless ones always seem too small

Comment

Working...
                                        X