Oxfordshire records on Ancestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oxfordshire records on Ancestry

In case you've not yet picked this news up yet.

Ancestry has launched the Oxfordshire records today (actually they were on yesterday.)

http://www.ofhs.org.uk/ - has a 20% discount for their members. (Their sub is £9 or £12 depending on where in the world you are.)

I know what I shall be doing this weekend!! I can begin to track down all the people who aren't on my CD/fiche collection of indexes and best of all - I can look at the images. More than 50% of my maternal ancestry is in the county so will be busy for a while.

Oxfordshire, England, Church of England Baptism, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812

Oxfordshire, England, Church of England Births and Baptisms, 1813-1915

Oxfordshire, England, Church of England Deaths and Burials, 1813-1965

Oxfordshire, England, Church of England Marriages and Banns, 1754-1930
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Very good news. Oxfordshire has long been a black hole for PRs if you can't easily get to the county archives.
    Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
      Very good news. Oxfordshire has long been a black hole for PRs if you can't easily get to the county archives.
      Anne
      That's why I have a large collection of CDs and fiches. But I still can't find the marriage of my 3x great grandfather .........
      Caroline
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I've spent much of the last 2 days trolling through these records! My family originates in a small area of Buckinghamshire, but it seems they did like to cross over into Oxfordshire!

I've found records as far back as 1750 that have cleared up brick walls.

Now I just need to find my 5x great grandfather who sprang up out of the earth fully grown in time to marry Katherine in 1741 in Edgcott (Edgecot) Buckinghamshire ...... there's at least 100 people who have been looking for him for the last 35-40 years that I know of. No-one has succeeded :(

One of their sons was apparently the first to move over into Oxfordshire.
        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Thanks for this Caroline - it has enabled me to get some information on great-great-granny and her family!

Bev
          Interested in the following:CRUSH from Essex and London; YOUNG from Wanstead Essex and East London; HODSON from Chester; and GERAGHTY/GERRITY from Chester and Co Mayo

Comment

I'm looking forward to having time to look at them too. Hubby's family originated there, so hoping to solve some things.
            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I'm looking forward to checking these out. Although many of mine are non-conformist, I hope to find a few.
              Last edited by jenoco; 05-10-16, 16:29.
              Jenny

Comment

Jenny .........

I've discovered several of mine born and buried in the CofE churchyard in Oxfordshire (mainly Fringford, for some reason) but who had been baptised in a Wesleyan Chapel in Northamptonshire ........... I got the hint from the Oxfordshire records, and then checked the non-conformist records which I'd previously ignored.

I was asking at that point for children with a certain surname and parents Will* and Mar* so had assumed the non-comformist records would not be them!
                My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Thanks for that, Sylvia. Mine come from the Oxfordshire/Berkshire border area and I have found a couple of burials/marriages over the border in Sonning, but am still missing some. My Cox family were quite heavily involved in a local congregational church and some of the earlier records are missing so I might not be able to find them, but... I'll keep searching!
                  Jenny

Comment

Free access to Ancestry this weekend

........... today marks the start of our big free access weekend.
                    With free access all weekend you can search more than 1 billion UK and Ireland records — right up to midnight on Sunday.

Caroline

Comment

and people on GR who are subscribers to ancestry are reporting difficulty accessing, and being thrown off :(

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                        ........... today marks the start of our big free access weekend.
                        With free access all weekend you can search more than 1 billion UK and Ireland records — right up to midnight on Sunday.

Thank you! That's great news - means I can research from home instead of having to go to the library.
                        Jenny

Comment

Jenny

hope you are not getting too wet today!

It's a good day to spend ancestor hunting :D

Comment

You're right Sylvia, a good day to research from home! Unfortunately, I didn't find anything new in Oxfordshire and I'm pretty sure I won't. They were mostly non-conformists and I believe the records are missing.

Happy Thanksgiving
                            Jenny

Comment

I'm sorry you couldn't find anyone. I'm still finding information, but now largely on side shoots or nieces and nephews of direct ancestors, and I don't usually go too far down the side twigs.

Happy Thanksgiving

Roll on the turkey tomorrow!

Comment

Working...
                              X