The Victorian Slum coming soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Victorian Slum coming soon

dont know if any of you have seen the ad for this its going to be on BBC 2 soon

Just the job for watching on iplayer while my OH watches football! Thanks Val

Comment

hope its as good as its being made out to be, so many aren't

Comment

My great grandfather, born in 1847, lived in what must have been a slum in 136 Scotch Row in Oldbury. a tied cottage to some glassworks with 8 children, at one point an eight year old had their occupation shown on the census as 'labourer' - poor mite.

I will be watching with interest and I suspect some degree of horror.

Thank goodness the world has moved on.

Comment

they certainly had a hard time so many children died very young.

Comment

My mother did her teacher training in Deptford in the 1930s. Her photos of the children reflect considerable poverty.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Starts next Monday 10th October BBC2 9pm

......for 5 weeks I think.

Comment

I have 3 wonderful photos of children in school Toms mum and Sisters are amongst them
                school2.jpgschool1.jpgPauline at school.jpg

Comment

Starts tonight BBC2 9pm

Comment

am ready and waiting

Comment

I really enjoyed that gave you a real eye opener to what it must have been like.

Comment

I've just watched on iplayer, really felt for the poor grandad when his back seized up so he couldn't work.

Comment

I missed it!
                          Julie
                          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I enjoyed this first part.

Comment

Julie try and watch it I thought it worthwhile.

Comment

Hi
                                Really enjoyed it but got a bit confused with the money. Grandad earned £10 for his day's work, very little in today's money & far too much in Victorian wages. The watercress was selling for 9 pence a bunch (old or new money?) & to "hang on a rope in the dosshouse" 2 pence (old or new money?) It was interesting when they said that single women/widows often turned to prostitution to earn a living & I have a strong feeling that my gr gr grandmother did just this in the Limehouse area of the East End. Luckily due to a bequest in her sister's will her later life improved & she lived into her 70s being "of independent means" in later census records.
                                Moggie

Comment

I would have thought they meant old money
                                  There is an interesting article here about female prostitution
                                  In 18th-century London, theft rather than sex was the main object of the trade of prostitution.
                                  Last edited by Guest; 11-10-16, 16:26.

Comment

I think they said that they were giving the amounts in modern money terms - so that we could see how little they earned against the average = eg £10 for the very long day which grandad worked, would be well below "breadline" compared with today's "national living wage" of £7.20 an hour or £57.60 for an 8 hour day and at 9 pence a bunch they would need to sell 640 bunches of watercress in a day to achieve the living wage.
                                    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

thanks for that Judith that explains it

Comment

I enjoyed it but didn't agree with the money, surely they should have used the amount it would have been in those days? Make it truly authentic.

I am thankful that none of my mine were in the slums shown, however the Phillips side would have witnessed it because they lived a few streets away from there. Then again everyone in those days would have been in a house classed as a slum wouldn't they?

If you are interested here are the photos of Stockton's Slums- Housewives Lane they called it.

Last edited by lennon2011; 11-10-16, 18:48.
                                        Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

Working...
                                        X