Searching for a marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching for a marriage

Can anyone find a marriage between Violet Bird, b 1889 Tottenham, and a Mr Leach sometime between 1911 and 1916.

Violet is with her parents and sisters in 1911 in Birmingham, and on 3 Jun 1916 gives birth to daughter Edith L Leach in Knaresborough. In the 1939 Violet is living with her sister Lily and daughter back in Birmingham, no trace of Mr Leach, and I have discovered she and Lily were already sharing a house in 1929.

I have no idea who Mr Leach was or what happened to him. Any ideas?

1911: http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/23...&usePUBJs=true

Edith's birth:http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...%205&ml_rpos=1
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

cannot find a marriage between those two names

Comment

Maybe they just didn't marry but he agreed to go and register Edith's birth in his name as he was the father? Could he have been in the forces and died in the war and before they could marry? It's annoying when you can't go any further isn't it!

Comment

Thanks for looking. I have tried the CWGC to see if any seem to fit the bill, but no luck as yet.
        Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

The birth of Edith in 1916 is only indexed under the name LEACH so you can be sure that when the birth was registered the informant ( mother or father) was claiming that they were married - of course they may have been lying - and they wouldn't be required to provide any proof.
          Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
          Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Surely the details of 'Mr Leach' will be on Edith's birth certificate as, like AntonyM says, the birth has been registered as Leach, mmn Bird, implying it was from a lawful union (even if it wasn't).

In 1939 her status is given as 'M' for married.

Annette

Comment

Working...
            X