Another Snozwell help please ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Snozwell help please ...

trying to work out who Edward Snozwell's (Snoswell) mother is on this census http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...iv=1&ml_rpos=6
    Mary i think should be 56 and Ann is definately 25 (mis-transcribed as 75). The thing confusing me is the son in law bit - do they mean grandson in which case who's his mother?
    1861 census he's down as a lodger so that doesn't help?
    If no-one can find anything then I guess i'll need to order a birth cert. for him?
    Thanks all

As I read the census image, Mary is definitely 86, Ann Bonner her daughter is 25 and a Widow

Son-in-law at that time very often meant Step-son

Mary Snoswell 86
    Ann Bonner 75 <<< 25 on image
    Susan Snoswell 24
    Eliza Snoswell 23
    Caroline Snoswell 17 <<<<< name has been corrected to Caroling Bonner, daughter of Ann????
    William Snoswell 4 Son-in-law
    Mary Ann Bonner 4 Daughter-in-law
    Edward Snoswell 2 Son-in-law
    Alfred Snoswell 11 Mo Son-in-law
    Richard Bonner 2 Son-in-law

Incidentally, Mary Snoswell is shown as age 70 on the 1861 Census, which could mean she was ca 60 in 1851

Several Public Family Trees on ancestry show Eliza as Edward's mother .... but don't have any documentation to prove it!

You might have to get his birth certificate ....... this looks like it

Name Edward Snoswell
    Registration Year 1848
    Registration Quarter Jan-Feb-Mar
    Registration district Newbury
    Inferred County Berkshire
    Volume 6
    Page 238

This looks like him on the 1939 Register

Westull Household (3 People) No 5 Ardington Cottages , Wantage R.D., Berkshire, England

First name(s) Last name(s) DOB Occupation
    Edward Snozwell 14 Mar 1848 Farm Labourer (Retired)
    John Westull 05 Apr 1874 Farm Labourer
    Rosina Westull 28 Aug 1877 Unpaid Household Duties

From the image ........ Edward is widowed, and is living with John and Rosina Westall. He did have a daughter called Rosina, born in 1877
    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Thank you.
      Still confused then as to who his mother is so will have to get the Birth cert. Either has no father or Ann could be his mother I suppose but why a different surname?! I'll let you know what the birth cert. says

Comment

Hi,

I am also researching the Snozwell family as my great grnadmother is Evelyn Snozwell- so i guess we are related!

Comment

Hi chezs18 and welcome to FTF Tessie31082 hasn't been on for a while, so perhaps you would like to send her a Private Message. If you click on her name you will see the box come up for Private Messages and if her e-mail address is still the same she will receive notification of it.
          Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 03-07-18, 09:10.
          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Working...
          X