Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Occupation?

Good Evening,

Can anyone please tell me what the occupation is of Elizabeth Bland (bottom right of census)?

Thank you!

Could it be nurse - not sure??
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

I think it is Nurse!

Comment

So do I.

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Looked before I read other people's opinion and I thought nurse straight away.
          Anne

Comment

Thank you although they were travellers / gypsies would she still be a nurse do you think? Only just started this side and it's a bit confusing lol! Eliza and her husband don't marry until their 60's they have 10 kids (a couple too old for Eliza to be Mum) no other marriage for John found, most of the kids are registered as Wait(e) (Eliza's mothers maiden name) - her maiden name is Sturges / Sturgis and then re-registered Bland (her married name) when she starts using this name on the census (1871)! I wonder if they had some sort of Romany Gypsy marriage before the one later on?!

Comment

In 1841 the term 'nurse' would be quite flexible and probably not mean a hospital nurse. Could be looking after a child, a new mother or someone old or incapacitated.
              Anne

Comment

I agree with Anne and would add that a nurse was seen as a lowly occupation, miles away from what it later became and was often considered not respectable.

As to whether there was a gypsy marriage, you,ll never know, lol, because they weren't recorded. The gypsy community had a fine disregard for civil registration too and even if you can find civil records, they won't necessarily be accurate. However, church records probably will be reasonably accurate as most people hesitate to tell lies in church!

OC

Comment

I wonder if she was a "wet" nurse - very common in those days - if a mother didn't have enough milk she may well employ the services of a wet nurse. Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Sue1 View Post
                    I wonder if she was a "wet" nurse - very common in those days - if a mother didn't have enough milk she may well employ the services of a wet nurse. Sue
                    Possibly age 45, which in 1841 census could mean anything from 45 to 49, is a tad too old for a wet nurse.
                    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Working...
                    X