Marriage of George Scott to Ellen Balmer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage of George Scott to Ellen Balmer

On the Ancestry site, there is reference to the above marriage, together with site of the church register for 1st February 1889. They were both from Canonbie in Dumfriesshire. Ellen was born around 1856.
    In my family tree, the 1871 census for George Scott (blacksmith) born 1797, shows George Scott aged 18, grandson. In the 1861 census, the younger George Scott is shown as George Blyth. He was the illegitimate son of Mary Scott and Walter Blyth. Mary went on to marry Robert Vevers, and had several children, but like other illegitimate grandchildren of George Scott (the elder) George Blyth was brought up by his grandfather, and grandmother. He became known as George Scott by the time of the 1871 census.
    As the extract from the above marriage is taken from church registers, I find it strange that there is no record of the marriage on Scotland's People. I would like to know if the George Scott of the marriage is the same George Scott who is in my family tree, but I need a marriage certificate to help. Can anyone help me as to why the record shows on Ancestry but not on Scotland's People.

The record appears to be from the Gretna Green marriages collection - not a church register. It is a marriage by declaration - a type of "Irregular Marriage" , but still legally valid in Scotland. They could be formally registered later by a Sheriff's warrant, but many didn't bother.

Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Which church did you think it was? If they lived in Canonbie they might have got married in England. The church at Arthuret (Longtown) quite regularly mentions people from 'North Britain' getting married there
      Anne

Comment

Working...
      X