Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Fitzgerald, born 1771 Cork, Ireland

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum so if this is the wrong place to post this my apologies. In fact, I'm new to building my tree, a week in, and have already found some interesting stories and characters.

Pretty much the moment I left Australia on a small slice of my family tree the trail has gone cold. I've managed to find out a fair bit about Michael Fitzgerald but cannot find his parents to forge beyond, here's a snapshot:

Michael Fitzgerald was born in 1771 in Cork, Ireland. Convicted of being a rebel and sentenced to life, he was deported to Australia on the Minerva as a convict arriving in 1800 and later pardoned in 1810. He married Mary Wood in 1811 in Launceston, Tasmania. They had one child during their marriage, Maria Jane, born 1811. He died in Tasmania.

Michael was my Great (x6) Grandfather on my Mothers side. Hoping Michael is a part of a family tree of someone here to gain some clues.

Thanks

Catholic registers usually begin in the 1820's or thereabouts. If he was protestant, you might have luck. But I would think his birth pre-dates existing Irish records.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad Farrell View Post
      Hi all,

I'm new to the forum so if this is the wrong place to post this my apologies. In fact, I'm new to building my tree, a week in, and have already found some interesting stories and characters.

Pretty much the moment I left Australia on a small slice of my family tree the trail has gone cold. I've managed to find out a fair bit about Michael Fitzgerald but cannot find his parents to forge beyond, here's a snapshot:

Michael Fitzgerald was born in 1771 in Cork, Ireland. Convicted of being a rebel and sentenced to life, he was deported to Australia on the Minerva as a convict arriving in 1800 and later pardoned in 1810. He married Mary Wood in 1811 in Launceston, Tasmania. They had one child during their marriage, Maria Jane, born 1811. He died in Tasmania.

Michael was my Great (x6) Grandfather on my Mothers side. Hoping Michael is a part of a family tree of someone here to gain some clues.

Thanks
      Thinking he must have taken part in the 1798 rebellion a quick Google (inc 1798 in the search) led me straight to this article where your man is mentioned in footnote 73, which in turn gives references to further articles.

He's also mentioned in this:

I haven't time at the moment for further digging to see if I can turn up anything which mentions where exactly he was from. Once you know that, it opens up more possibilities.
      Christine
      Last edited by Karamazov; 13-09-16, 15:28.
      Researching:
      HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

There was a book written about Michael and his brother Maurice - Victims of Tyranny, by Brendan Whiting
        https://books.google.co.uk/books/abo...AJ&redir_esc=y

It looks like it is still available through a number of outlets. If you are in Australia, it is available to borrow at these libraries
        http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/8138702?q&borrow=true
        Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Thanks for for your responses everyone.

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
          There was a book written about Michael and his brother Maurice - Victims of Tyranny, by Brendan Whiting

It looks like it is still available through a number of outlets. If you are in Australia, it is available to borrow at these libraries
          http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/8138702?q&borrow=true
          I did have suspicions that Maurice was a sibling, the record of convicts on the Minerva shows Michael, Maurice and a Francis from Cork, Ireland.

I'll look into the publication you've suggested.

On a different note, I've traced my Grandmothers side through to Richard Bligh of Bodwin, Cornwall b. 1453 making Vice-Admiral William Bligh my 5th Great Grandfather. Curious now on a research fork to see if one side of the family transported someone on the other as a convict?

Comment

Working...
          X