X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello Fellow Genealogists!

Hi,

I am a newborn to this great site!

Was hoping someone could advise me if the below website is useful. I have a discount code which reduces the cost of a will search in the UK to £10 including delivery but not sure if this is the right place to go.

Can someone help?

The online shop you were looking for has been closed. Please contact customer support on 0333 004 0333.

CJ

Hi if you order it from here its only £10 anyway, plus its delivered by email so you dont wait long
    Last edited by Guest; 05-09-16, 22:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
      Hi if you order it from here its only £10 anyway, plus its delivered by email so you dont wait long
      https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills
      I would only ever order from the official site, as Val has posted.. likewise if you are looking for a Birth, Marriage or Death certificate only order from http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

other sites will rip you off, some even charging £50, yes £50 for a £10 cert! [which includes postage I believe worldwide]
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

if you are looking for an Administration [and not a will] then don't waste your money in purchasing one, more often than not you only get the same information that is listed in the index, typically, the name of the person who administered the estate of the deceased if I remember rightly. A will, will give you the complete breakdown of which items and or money went to which person and if the person was a widow/widower and of they had any children etc.. far more for your money. If you aren't at all sure, then please ask and someone will put you in the right direction.
        Julie

Comment

GRO charges £9.25 for a certificate, including postage and handling ............... even overseas

............. which makes it much cheaper even than ordering from local Register Offices for those of us who do not live in the UK.
          My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Originally posted by CarterJ View Post
            Hi,

I am a newborn to this great site!

Was hoping someone could advise me if the below website is useful. I have a discount code which reduces the cost of a will search in the UK to £10 including delivery but not sure if this is the right place to go.

Can someone help?

The online shop you were looking for has been closed. Please contact customer support on 0333 004 0333.

CJ

Hi all and thank you very much for all your replies.

The main reason I have explored outside of the official Fina A Will service is due to failures in results and issues with results. For examples, I had searched for Quigley 1965 and had a result page of Gwinnell. After several such similar issues, I started googling other services and found this one to be at the same cost, so thought it would be worth a go.

Any further advice or experience from anyone of the website would be very helpful. I have found them on Yell and the have a 5 star rating from 7 reviews over almost 2 years, so all looks genuine and reliable.

TIA

CJ

Comment

The main reason I have explored outside of the official Fina A Will service is due to failures in results and issues with results. For examples, I had searched for Quigley 1965 and had a result page of Gwinnell. After several such similar issues, I started googling other services and found this one to be at the same cost, so thought it would be worth a go.
              In relation to the result issue, usually you just need to click on the next page number, however this doesn't always work. You can also search by just entering the first letter or 2 of the surname, which may come up with hundreds of pages. Then click on page 2 & look at the URL - at the end of the URL you will see something similar to this "yearOfDeath=1900&page=2#calendar" just change the page number until you get to the correct surname/page.

Comment

Any further advice or experience from anyone of the website would be very helpful. I have found them on Yell and the have a 5 star rating from 7 reviews over almost 2 years, so all looks genuine and reliable.

TIA

CJ
                Hi,
                where are you looking for this information please? do you have a subscription to either Ancestry-Findmypast or other site?

when you search the online index, you will get a page that has many names on it on that page you should find the name you are looking for, [if they left a will or died intestate or not]

perhaps you could give us some names to see if we could be of assistance?

and to add also that the above site you mentioned haven't got a 'magic wand' they will only be using the same resources that we do, so their inflated prices are nothing more than ripping you off.
                Julie

Comment

Carter,

could you give us the name/s of the people that you are looking for and the areas in which they died. I have just done a search on Ancestry and got 8 possible Quigley's that could be the one you are looking for. [using Quigley 1965 as my search criteria]

just done another search on the official government site here is the link, you will need to use the arrows on the actual results page to look at the other pages, there are at least 4 pages to look through.

Last edited by Darksecretz; 08-09-16, 08:18.
                  Julie

Comment

TIA

CJ

Hi all,

Thanks so much for your help and I no have additional resources to refer to. It also appears that the calendar is working now, so will give that another bash. Much appreciate, thank you!

:o

CJ

Comment

Working...
                    X